Nacogdoches Safety Brandon Jones Picks Up Michigan Offer
Michigan made its second move of the season in East Texas with an offer for Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones on Thursday.
The Class of 2016 prospect, who now holds 27 offers prior to the start of his junior year, announced he received the Wolverines’ invite via Twitter.
It’s his first offer since May 30. On that date, he picked up scholarships from Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee.
Jones (6-0, 190) is ranked as Scout.com’s 25th best player in the 2016 class nationally and 34th by 247sports.com among all players entering their junior season.
Nacogdoches’ star safety is currently in a league of his own among East Texas’ junior class. The next closest junior players from the region in terms of scholarship offers, John Tyler defensive tackle Braylon Jones and Frankston receiver Kendrick Rogers, have two offers each.
Michigan has one other offer out to an East Texan. That scholarship opportunity belongs to senior Nacogdoches cornerback and Oklahoma State verbal commitment Jaylon Lane.
Jones and Lane share scholarship offers from Arizona State, Florida State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Purdue, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Washington State. Twenty-two opportunities to team up on the collegiate level.
The duo are only half of what should be an elite Dragons defensive backfield this season. Junior safety Corey Lane has an offer from Louisiana Tech and senior cornerback Tay Forest is a player who will probably field college interest before his high school career wraps up.
With the Wolverines’ offer, Jones now has invitations from five different Big Ten schools. He also is in possession of scholarships from seven SEC schools, five Big 12 universities, two Pac-12 programs and two ACC teams in addition to the Notre Dame scholarship.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Travon Fuller, ATH, Athens, 6-0, 160 – offer from Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Washington State (27)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 275 – offers from Air Force, Navy (2)
- Corey Lane, S, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)