Jefferson’s T.Q. Jackson Offered By Southern Miss
Southern Miss has been hitting the recruiting trail in East Texas hard in recent weeks, and the Golden Eagles made another regional prospect a target of theirs.
Jefferson 2019 wide receiver T.Q. Jackson reported a Southern Miss offer on Twitter, late Wednesday morning.
— T.Q Jackson (@TQJ3_) June 7, 2017
USM is the second Division I FBS program to offer Jackson (6-2, 175), who received his first offer from SMU last month.
Southern Miss has now offered 19 East Texas players in the 2018 and 2019 classes, including seven since Monday.
Pittsburg receiver Keontae Burns, Texas High quarterback Coltin Clack, Marshall offensive lineman Christian Hood, Henderson defensive end Keivie Rose, and Longview offensive lineman Marcus Williams are the area 2019 recruits with USM offers aside from Jackson.
Southern Miss head coach Jay Hopson posted a 6-6 regular season record his first year in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and closed the 2016 campaign with a win against Louisiana-Lafayette in the New Orleans Bowl.
Since the season ended, Hopson hired former East Texas Baptist head coach Scotty Walden to his staff, which helps account for the Golden Eagles’ explosion of interest in East Texas.
USM coaches were on hand at a satellite camp held at ETBU’s campus in Marshall earlier this week.
Jackson had a breakout sophomore campaign for Jefferson. He caught 41 passes for 1,099 yards and 14 touchdowns. Averaging almost 27 yards per reception, Jackson routinely burned opposing defenses.
The Bulldogs finished 9-3 in 2016, winning District 8-3A Division I with a perfect 5-0 record.
Jackson took home wide receiver MVP honors at Sunday’s ETSN Combine. He tied Nacogdoches defensive back DaRyan Williams for the fasted laser-timed 40-yard dash at 4.47 seconds, had a broad jump of 115.5 inches, and was among the most impressive on the field during skill work.
Like all college football targets entering their junior year of high school, Jackson will first become eligible to sign with any Division I school that offers him in December of 2018.
2019 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jade Ashalintubbi, Elysian Fields, OL, 6-6, 331 —offers from Tulsa, ULM (2)
- Chance Billington, John Tyler, OL, 6-3, 201 — offer from SMU (1)
- Keontae Burns, Pittsburg, WR, 6-3, 182 — offers from Iowa State, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss (4)
- Coltin Clack, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 202 — offers from Florida Atlantic, SMU, Southern Miss (3)
- Christian Hood, Marshall, OL, 6-2, 290 — offer from Southern Miss (1)
- T.Q. Jackson, Jefferson, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from SMU, Southern Miss (2)
- Keivie Rose, Henderson, DE, 6-4, 220 — offers from Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, SMU, Southern Miss, Tulane (5)
- Carl Williams, Lufkin, DT, 6-3, 275 — offers from Oklahoma, SMU, TCU, Tulsa (4)
- Marcus Williams, Longview, OL, 6-6, 250 — offer from Southern Miss (1)