John Tyler’s Isaac Warren Commits to Purdue
It only took a day, but John Tyler's Isaac Warren has made his decision. The 2015 cornerback offered up his verbal to commitment to Purdue on Tuesday, John Tyler head coach Ricklan Holmes announced via Twitter.
Warren (6-1, 189) received his first two FBS offers Monday when both Purdue and Arizona State made the big and physical defensive back a recruiting target. Those two offers eventually led to Warren's decision to decommit from FCS Sam Houston State, where he'd been committed since May.
Even though Warren is now committed, don't be surprised if the high-major Division I offers continue to roll in for Warren, who had a breakout performance at Texas' Under the Lights camp in Austin on May 18.
Purdue, which competes in the Big Ten Conference, is currently in rebuilding mode under second-year coach Darrell Hazell after a 1-11 season in 2013, which also included an 0-8 finish in conference play.
The Boilermakers currently have offers out to three East Texas prospects -- Warren, Nacogdoches 2015 cornerback and Oklahoma State commit Jaylon Lane and Nacogdoches 2016 safety Brandon Jones. Purdue has also expressed interest in Bullard Brook Hill 2016 receiver Seth Brasher, who spent some time at the West Lafayette, Ind., campus earlier this summer.
Warren is the 18th recruit in East Texas' 2015 class to issue a verbal commitment, but the first to do so for a Big Ten school.
As a junior, Warren made 28 tackles, had two pass break-ups and forced a fumble. Those are modest numbers, but opposing quarterbacks usually discovered rather quickly not to throw his direction too often.
Warren is about as complete a cornerback as there is in the area. He specializes in jamming receivers at the line, but is more than capable of providing step-for-step one-on-one coverage and making plays on the ball.
He had a productive showing at the second annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine on June 1 in Tyler. He ran a laser-timed 4.56 40-yard dash, put up 12 bench press reps of 185 pounds and had a vertical jump of 36.1 inches. His testing performance along with his one-on-one prowess helped Warren take home defensive back MVP honors.
Warren is a key returnee for John Tyler, which will try to rebound from its first season with less than 10 wins since 2008. After facing Plano, Longview and Tyler Lee in non-district, the Lions will compete for the District 16-5A championship alongside Corsicana, Ennis, Jacksonville, Lindale, Lufkin, Nacogdoches and Whitehouse this fall.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jarion Anderson, WR, Texas High, 5-11, 165 – offer from Tulsa (1)
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- William Brown, DL, Texas High, 6-3, 259 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas State (2)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (14)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from Louisiana Tech (2)
- Nick Cain, ATH, John Tyler, 5-10, 165 — offer from ULM (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Louisville, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Tulsa (5)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-0, 178 – committed to ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – committed to TCU; additional offers from North Texas, Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA (7)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Tyrone Hunt, DE, Arp, 6-4, 230 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Marcalas Johnson, Arp, 5-10, 181 – offer from Colorado State (1)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 6-0, 177 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (38)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (6)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – committed to North Texas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas State, Memphis, Nevada, Oregon State, Texas State, ULM, UTEP, UTSA (11)
- Chett Munden, OL, Marshall, 6-6, 303 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-2, 178 — offers from Houston, Memphis, Texas State (3)
- Chris Spikes, WR, Jasper, 6-3, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-3, 211 – committed to Tulsa; additional offers from Navy, New Mexico, Rice, Toledo, ULM (6)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Isaac Warren, DB, John Tyler, 6-1, 189 — committed to Purdue; additional offer from Arizona State (2)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (7)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-6, 274 — offer from SMU (1)