Longview’s Broderick Washington Receives Offers From UTSA + New Mexico
The recruitment of Longview 2015 offensive lineman Broderick Washington continued to pick up steam Tuesday when he received offers from both UTSA and New Mexico, according to Longview coach John King.
Washington (6-3, 285) now has five Division I FBS offers, and all since Monday of last week. The first offer came from Arkansas State on April 28, and he got two more from Houston and Louisiana-Lafayette last Friday.
New Mexico became the 53rd unique school to offer an East Texan in the 2015 class, while Washington became the third UTSA target from the area, joining New Boston athlete Jeff Gladney and Canton defensive end Samuel Miller.
New Mexico competes in the Mountain West and went 3-9 overall and 1-7 in conference play last season.
UTSA, which has steadily built a respectable program since instituting football before the 2011 season, went 7-5 overall and 6-2 as a conditional member of Conference USA last year. The Roadrunners will become full-fledged members of the league and the FBS beginning this season.
Washington will anchor a Longview offensive line, which features a couple of other prospects in Qydarius Washington (6-0, 245) -- an incoming senior -- and 2016 lineman Tim Clay (6-5, 360).
The Longview offensive line, long considered a staple of the program, will be a big key to success in 2014 with the return of running back and Baylor commit JaMycal Hasty and quarterback Dezmond Chumley, who passed for more than 2,200 yards with 33 touchdowns and only five interceptions a season ago.
Longview, which finished 2013 with an 11-2 record and a berth in the Class 5A Region II semifinals, will compete in the new 15-5A this fall along with Greenville, Hallsville, Marshall, Mount Pleasant, Pine Tree, Sulphur Springs and Texas High.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – offer from North Texas (1)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, Rice, UTSA (3)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (34)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (5)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offer from Nevada, UTSA (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis (2)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 – offer from Navy (1)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)