Longview’s JaMycal Hasty Commits to Baylor
Speed is one of the first things that comes to mind when the subject of Longview’s JaMycal Hasty is discussed, which also happens to be among the first items mentioned when talking about Baylor these days.
And on Saturday afternoon the two joined forces when the Lobos’ 2015 running back pledged to coach Art Briles and the Bears, he confirmed to ETSN.fm around 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
Hasty (5-9, 181) is the second East Texan to commit to Baylor, following in the footsteps of Troup quarterback Blake Lynch, who committed last October.
In all, Hasty is the sixth recruit in the 2015 class to offer up a verbal pledge. Whitehouse safety Justin Dunning, Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack and Sulphur Springs safety Larry Pryor have all committed to Texas A&M, while Tyler Lee linebacker Brandon Durman is solid to Louisiana Tech.
Hasty also holds offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.
Hasty’s size, speed and vision all make him a versatile threat at the next level. He’s played running back exclusively in high school, but his pass-catching skills and open-field moves could translate into a slot receiver in Baylor’s uptemo, spread offense.
At the inaugural ETSN recruiting combine at APEC training facility in Tyler last May, Hasty had the fastest laser-timed 40-yard dash — 4.39 — at the event, which hosted 100 of the area’s top 2014 and 2015 athletes. His overall performance at the combine earned him Offensive MVP honors.
Hasty again figures to play a heavy role in Longview’s perennially potent running game in 2014 after rushing for 1,413 yards and 13 touchdowns despite missing two games to injury as a junior. He also caught 12 passes for 255 yards and three touchdowns last season.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Boise State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Mississippi State, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Texas State, Utah State, Washington State (20)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston (2)
- Samuel Miller, TE/DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 — offer from UTSA (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)