Nacogdoches Receiver Alex Gregory Commits To Stephen F. Austin
Great news for Nacogdoches area football fans.
Nacogdoches receiver Alex Gregory will play football within his home town for five or six more seasons. The 5-foot-11, 175-pound prospect ended his recruitment Wednesday by announcing his commitment to Stephen F. Austin.
It's a good win for the Lumberjacks' program. Head coach Clint Conque and company beat competition from Southland Conference rival McNeese State, fellow FCS school Prairie View A&M and FBS competitors Texas State and Louisiana-Monroe.
Gregory's commitment came on the heels of an excellent inaugural season for Conque at Stephen F. Austin. He guided the team to an 8-4 regular season before the FCS playoffs selection committee picked up the Lumberjacks for the 24-team postseason tournament.
It was a five-win improvement from the 2013 season and featured signature wins against then-No. 8 Southeastern Louisiana and No. 6 McNeese State. One of the Lumberjacks' losses came in the opener against Kansas State.
Nacogdoches also enjoyed a better-than-usual season. It qualified for the playoffs out of a very competitive District 16-5A -- the team's second straight postseason trip after decades of frustration -- and wrapped up the campaign with a 7-4 overall record.
Gregory finished third in team receiving yardage and total receptions last season. He will be the top offensive returner this season as the Dragons overhaul their receiving rotation and also break in a new starting quarterback and running back.
The latest Stephen F. Austin pledge attended the invite-only ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in May. He logged a 4.52 40-yard dash time, second-best among 24 receivers and third-best out of the 113 total participants.
Gregory isn't the only Nacogdoches player with an offer.
Senior safety Brandon Jones leads all East Texas prospects with 38 scholarship opportunities. Senior cornerback Corey Lane owns an invitation from Louisiana Tech.
All three teammates, and the rest of senior high school football prospects, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers them on Feb. 3, 2016.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Gabe Foster, RB/DB, Newton, 6-3, 180 — offers from Arkansas State, Purdue, Texas State, ULM (4)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, SMU (3)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Alex Gregory, WR, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 175 — committed to Stephen F. Austin; additional offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Texas Tech (2)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offer from ULL (1)
- Adrian Harris, OL, John Tyler, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jerrod Johnson, OL, Lufkin, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (38)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Houston, Navy (5)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State, Washington (5)
- Jarrod McLin, DE, Carthage, 6-4, 212 – offers from ULL, UTSA (2)
- Denzel Mims, WR, Daingerfield, 6-4, 180 – committed to Baylor; additional offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (6)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Jordan Morales, DL, Tyler Bishop Gorman, 6-3, 275 -- offer from UTEP (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (11)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 5-10, 180 — committed to Nebraska; additional offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nevada, Texas State (5)
- Jeremy West, OL/DL, Chapel Hill, 6-2, 297 — offer from ULL (1)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy, Texas State, Wyoming (6)