Nac’s Jaylon Lane Decommits from Ole Miss to Weigh Other Options + Says Rebs Are Still Alive
Jaylon Lane has confirmed to ETSN.fm he is back on the open market after a brief stint verbally committed to Mississippi.
The 6-2, 185-pound Class of 2015 defensive back from Nacogdoches High School committed to the Rebels earlier this month in favor of offers from Louisiana Tech and South Alabama. Houston, Oklahoma State and Boise State recently offered in spite of his commitment and made him rethink shutting down the process with more than 10 months to National Signing Day.
Lane said Ole Miss is still an option he might pursue.
The cornerback picked up his sixth offer Monday from Boise State which tied Troup quarterback and Baylor commitment Blake Lynch for the sixth-most offers of any rising senior player in East Texas.
More offers are historically handed out in a period that has just started. This period features high school football combines, unofficial visits to college’s spring practices and spans on to high school spring football through school-specific summer camps for high school players.
Lane and other local players stand to gain.
The cornerback originally from Nacogdoches transferred to Nacogdoches High School with his family. He spent the previous two seasons at Central High School in San Angelo, Texas, where he recorded five interceptions, 46 tackles and averaged 48 yards on five kickoff returns as a junior. He’ll be part of a Dragons defensive backfield that features another high-profile player in Class of 2016 safety Brandon Jones.
The two players have expressed some interest in playing together in college. Both players currently have a common offers from Ole Miss and Oklahoma State. Jones has an offer from Texas Tech while Lane is under the impression the Red Raiders could offer him once someone from their staff visits later this spring.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (7)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 175 — offers from Boise State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi, Oklahoma State, South Alabama (6)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)