Nac’s Jaylon Lane Receives Texas A&M Offer + New Option From Arizona State
Texas A&M made things interesting in East Texas on Friday evening.
It extended Nacogdoches cornerback Jaylon Lane a football scholarship offer with the 6-2, 185-pounder slated to visit College Station this weekend.
The Aggies' offer is Lane's 19th scholarship opportunity overall and his second scholarship of the day. Arizona State also extended a scholarship Friday.
The corner has picked up 11 offers since Monday, and all 19 offers have come in a 32-day span.
Lane was offered by Louisville on Monday and then heard from Arkansas State, Utah State and Kentucky on Tuesday. He picked up offers from four schools Wednesday -- Mississippi State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Northern Illinois. LSU reached out Thursday.
The Nacogdoches product now has five SEC offers and 10 scholarships from teams belonging to power conferences.
Texas A&M's offer also is the corner's third scholarship opportunity from within the state. Houston and Texas State are the other current in-state options.
Lane is the second-most recruited East Texas player in the 2015 class, just two offers short of Gladewater defensive tackle and Texas A&M commit Daylon Mack.
The Aggies have reached out to six Class of 2015 East Texans, including Lane and Mack. Of the four remainders, Whitehouse safety Justin Dunning and Sulphur Springs safety Larry Pryor also have given Texas A&M verbal commitments.
Longview running back JaMycal Hasty and Newton defensive back Roney Elam are stilling weighing their offers from Kevin Sumlin's staff against other multiple school choices.
Texas A&M won the Chick-fil-A Bowl for a 9-4 record in 2013. It finished No. 57 in total defense last season.
The Arizona State offer marks Lane's second option in the Pac-12.
Dunning, the third-most recruited player in the East Texas region with 11 scholarship choices, also has a standing offer from the Sun Devils.
Arizona State appeared in the Pac-12 Championship Game this past season and finished the 2013 campaign with the No. 42 defense in the country. It allowed about 376 yards per game.
Lane spent the past two seasons at Central High School in San Angelo where he recorded five interceptions, 46 tackles and averaged 48 yards on five kickoff returns as a junior.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-10, 175 — offer from Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Boise State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Mississippi State, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, South Alabama, Texas A&M, Texas State, Utah State, Washington State (19)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston (2)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)