Newton’s Gabe Foster Offered By Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Lafayette made a play during the weekend, offering Newton running back and defensive back Gabe Foster.
The Eagles' senior athlete announced the college football scholarship Sunday through his personal Twitter account.
ULL joins fellow FBS competitors Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe, Purdue and Texas State in the chase. FCS programs McNeese State and Northwestern State also have invited Foster to join their teams after graduation.
The Ragin' Cajuns have their own unique selling point. Newton linebacker Tanner Holmes, Foster's teammate, is one of their most prized commitments in the 2016 recruiting class.
Foster visited the campus with Holmes on Saturday to witness ULL's 44-17 home win against Northwestern State.
In just two games this season, Foster (6-2, 180) has rushed for 168 yards and four touchdowns on 26 carries. He also has 99 kick return yards and five tackles.
Newton -- which reached the Class 3A Division II state championship game last season -- had its open date this past weekend. The team will try to up its 1-1 record Friday at Henderson.
The Ragin' Cajuns' program has enjoyed a lot of success under fifth-year head coach Mark Hudspeth. Each season has ended with an 8-4 record and a win in the New Orleans Bowl.
Hudspeth's squad has experienced quite a bit through two games this season. It visited Kentucky to open the season, and it nearly got out of Lexington, Ky., with a victory.
ULL put up 16 consecutive points in the fourth quarter to tie the game, 33-33, with seven minutes to play. Kentucky scored the winning touchdown with 57 seconds left in the game.
The Ragin' Cajuns will host Akron on Saturday and close non-conference play at Louisiana Tech before hopping into the Sun Belt Conference schedule, where it posted a 7-1 record last season.
Non-conference scheduling will be arguably more impressive for the Ragin' Cajuns in future seasons.
If Foster signs with the program, he'll have the opportunity to play against Boise State, Georgia and Tulane as a true freshman in addition to Sun Belt competition. He would certainly be using eligibility when ULL visits Texas A&M in 2017.
There's still a long way for Foster to go though. Both on the field and in his decision process.
Henderson marks the midway game of the Newton's non-district schedule. The team will subsequently square off with Orangefield and 2014 Class 4A Division II state runner-up West Orange-Stark before its District 11-3A Division II schedule.
Foster, like all senior high school football players, becomes eligible to sign with any program that offers him on Feb. 3.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Gabe Foster, RB/DB, Newton, 6-3, 180 — offers from Arkansas State, Purdue, Texas State, ULL, ULM (5)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, SMU (3)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Alex Gregory, WR, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 175 — committed to Stephen F. Austin; additional offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Missouri, Texas Tech (3)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offers from Texas State, ULL (2)
- Adrian Harris, OL, John Tyler, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Tanner Holmes, LB, Newton, 6-3, 220 — committed to ULL (1)
- Jerrod Johnson, OL, Lufkin, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – offers from SMU, ULL (2)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (40)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Navy (5)
- Corey Lane, S, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State, Washington (5)
- Jarrod McLin, DE, Carthage, 6-4, 212 – committed to UTSA; additional offer from ULL (2)
- Denzel Mims, WR, Daingerfield, 6-4, 180 – committed to Baylor; additional offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (6)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Jordan Morales, DL, Tyler Bishop Gorman, 6-3, 275 – offer from UTEP (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (11)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 5-10, 180 — committed to Nebraska; additional offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nevada, Texas State (5)
- Jeremy West, OL/DL, Chapel Hill, 6-2, 297 — committed to Northwestern State; additional offer from ULL (1)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy, Texas State, Wyoming (6)