PREVIEW: Unbeaten Joaquin Opens District 11-2A D-I With Garrison
DISTRICT 11-2A DIVISION I
Joaquin Rams (4-0, 0-0)
Garrison Bulldogs (2-2, 0-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Bulldog Stadium, Garrison
- Garrison: Larry Prince
- Joaquin: Wade Lawson
- Garrison: def. Alto, 35-21
- Joaquin: def. Corrigan-Camden, 21-0
- Garrison: at Linden-Kildare, Oct. 5
- Joaquin: idle
Players to watch
- RB/LB Sebastion Porter, Jr., 5-9, 180 (99 carries, 664 yards, 11 TDs; 45 tackles, 10 for loss, 1 sack, 3 forced fumbles)
- DL Wyatt Reneau, Sr., 6-1, 250 (10 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 3 blocked kicks)
- QB Drew Wise, Sr., 5-9, 165
- RB Jakedrick Watts, Jr., 5-8, 165 (47 carries, 305 yards, 3 TDs)
- OL/DL Adam Renfro, Sr., 6-3, 280
- WR/DB Austin Colle, Sr., 5-5, 135 (11 catches, 205 yards, 1 TD)
- WR Canyon Holmes, Jr., 6-1, 152
- LB Blake Greer, Sr., 6-0, 155 (30 tackles, 8 for loss, 2 sacks)
- DB Dallas Porter, So., 5-11 (15 tackles, 2 for loss, 2 INTs, 2 PBUs)
- RB/CB Hunter Gates, Sr., 5-8, 140 (49 carries, 467 yards, 3 TDs; 2 catches, 96 yards
- QB/LB Trenton Ramsey, Sr. (5-for-5, 173 yards, 2 TDs; 9 carries, 31 yards; 40 tackles, 2 PBUs)
- FB/OLB Joseph Tarver, Sr., 5-4, 140 (19 carries, 177 yards, 2 TDs; 17 tackles, 2 INTs)
- RB/LB Tre Burns, Sr., 5-9, 170 (15 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 fumble recovery; 6 carries, 40 yards, 1 TD
- DB Juan Castillo, Sr.
- OL/DL Paul Salone, Sr.
- FB Ian Shahan, Jr., 5-9, 186 (26 carries, 132 yards, 5 TDs; 25 tackles, 1 for loss, 2 sack, 1 fumble recovery)
- TB/DB Connor Bragg, Jr., 5-10, 155 (37 carries, 548 yards, 5 TDs; 2 catches, 55 yards)
- OL/DL Jackson Cater, Sr.
Just the facts
- Joaquin and Garrison have not met since at least 2004, according to MaxPreps.
- Joaquin has shut out its opponents through its first four games, outscoring them 144-0.
- Joaquin's opponents have a combined record of 8-8.
- The Rams are averaging 400.6 yards per game, 357.3 of which have come on the ground (89.2 percent).
- Garrison running back and linebacker Sabastion Porter is among the East Texas leaders in rushing yards, tackles, tackles for loss and forced fumbles.
- Garrison's opponents have a combined record of 10-5.
- After starting the season 0-2, Garrison defeated San Augustine and previously unbeaten Alto in back-to-back weeks.
Key matchup: Joaquin defense against the Garrison offense. To say the Rams defense has been stifling would be an understatement. Joaquin has not allowed an opponent to score through four games, outscoring teams 144-0 in that time. Albeit, Garrison probably presents its biggest challenge yet. Nevertheless, to get nearly to the halfway point of the season without allowing a score is impressive no matter who you play.
Garrison's offense is led by Sabastion Porter, who has rushed for 664 yards and 11 touchdowns. Jakedrick Watts adds another 300 rushing yards and Austin Colle presents a receiving threat with 205 yards and a touchdown. There are weapons galore on this Garrison offense and Joaquin will certainly have its hands full. It might be too much to expect the Rams to pitch a fifth straight shutout, but if they can get a few stops they should come away unscathed.
Don't be surprised if: Joaquin puts up 300-plus yards rushing. The Rams have passed only five times this season (all of which have ended in completions). Hunter Gates and Connor Bragg have already combined for more than 1,000 yards rushing. Joaquin averaged more than 400 yards per game on the ground. Like many small schools, the Rams make their living handing the ball off. Expect nothing to change in this game.