Something’s Got to Give When Undefeated Timpson + Joaquin Clash in District 9-A D-I Showdown
Timpson (8-0, 3-0)
No. 5 Joaquin Rams (8-0, 3-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Ram Stadium, Joaquin
Timpson: James Conway
Joaquin: Wayne Gandy
Timpson: def. Carlisle, 25-0
Joaquin: def. Beckville, 30-10
Timpson: vs. Big Sandy
Joaquin: at Harleton
- QB/DB Lorenzo Young, Sr., 5-10, 175 (14 carries, 159 yards, 2 TDs; 5 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 1 recovery, 1 INT last week vs. Carlisle)
- Chase Lee (8 tackles, 1 fumble recovery last week vs. Carlisle)
- T.J. Jackson (9 tackles, 2 sacks last week vs. Carlisle)
- RB Colton McSwain (9 carries, 80 yards, 1 TD last week vs. Carlisle)
- Jay Bussey (defensive touchdown last week vs. Carlisle)
- RB/CB Wyatt Hairgrove, Sr., 5-10, 159 (116 carries, 1,161 yards, 6 TDs; 6 catches, 132 yards, 2 TDs; 14 tackles, 4 INTs, 6 pass break-ups)
- QB/FS Will Vaughn, Sr., 6-4, 205 (16 of 33, 328 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT; 92 carries, 510 yards, 13 TDs; 73 tackles, 3 INTs, 3 pass break-ups, 2 forced fumbles, 1 recovery)
- RB Nick Cheatwood, Sr., 5-11, 175 (73 carries, 511 yards, 4 TDs)
- LB Lance Lawson, Jr., 6-3, 207 (81 tackles, 8 pass break-ups, 2 forced fumbles)
- FB Tra Rogers, Sr., 5-11, 202 (54 carries, 371 yards, 4 TDs)
Just the facts
- Timpson has had quite the turnaround in 2012. The Bears' eight wins are the most they've had since 2003's team went 9-5. From 2003-11, Timpson went 23-55.
- The Bears have been getting it done with defense. Through eight weeks, Timpson is giving up just 9.3 points per game with pair of shutouts to its name.
- If Timpson wins its final two games of the regular season, the Bears will have their most wins in a season since 1992.
- Joaquin is unbeaten like Timpson. The combined opponents' record for Joaquin is 21-44 and 26-40 for Timpson.
- The Rams haven't gone undefeated in a regular season since 1990.
- Joaquin is averaging 34.3 points and 388.8 yards per game on offense. The Rams' defense allows 13.6 points a game.
Key matchup: Joaquin running game vs. Timpson defensive front. The Rams don't throw it very much. In fact, the most passes Joaquin has attempted in a game this season is 10. The Rams' bread and butter is the running game, which is averaging more than 345 yards per game. Joaquin has eclipsed the 400-yard rushing mark on three separate occasions in 2012. The Rams have four ball carriers with at least 371 yards on the season. So it will be up to a solid Timpson defense to put the clamps on one of the most potent running games in the area.
Don't be surprised if: Points are hard to come by in this one. Joaquin, while dominant on the ground, doesn't light up the scoreboard the way several others offenses do. And Timpson's defense has been stingy with the points, and the Bears offense doesn't average as many points as the one from Joaquin. Timpson should be the best defense Joaquin has played so far this season, so the first team to three touchdowns may come out on top in this one.