TCU Puts Hat in Ring for Nacogdoches’ Jaylon Lane
Jaylon Lane picked up his East Texas-leading 34th college football scholarship opportunity Saturday.
TCU is the newest school in the chase, according to the Nacogdoches cornerback. The latest offer was Lane's third new choice of the week behind Penn State and Tennessee.
The corner has not gone more than seven days without a new scholarship opportunity since receiving his first offer from Louisiana Tech on Feb. 23.
Lane now has four teams from the Big 12 recruiting him, a number dwarfed by 10 SEC schools. He also has three Big Ten and three ACC opportunities plus two Pac-12 schools chasing him and a scholarship from Notre Dame to round out the power schools that want him.
The Horned Frogs are known for defense under head coach Gary Patterson. Despite a 4-8 record in 2013, the team ranked No. 24 in total defense and cornerback Jason Verrett could very well be a first-round NFL Draft pick on Thursday.
Lane isn't the only player in his family being recruited. His younger brother, Nacogdoches sophomore safety Corey Lane, received an offer from Louisiana Tech on Wednesday.
But that's not even the end of the Dragons' Division I talent in the defensive backfield.
Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones leads current East Texas sophomores with 15 scholarship choices.
Jaylon Lane, who spent the last two seasons at San Angelo Central High School, had five interceptions, 46 tackles and averaged almost 46 yards on five kickoff returns as a junior.
Jaylon Lane's Recruiting Timeline
- Feb. 24 -- offered by Louisiana Tech
- Feb. 25 -- offered by South Alabama
- March 2 -- offered by Ole Miss
- March 7 -- committed to Ole Miss
- March 9 -- won defensive backs MVP at Rivals.com camp in Houston
- March 9 -- offered by Houston
- March 11 -- offered by Oklahoma State
- March 17 -- offered by Boise State
- March 20 -- decommitted from Ole Miss
- March 21 -- offered by Washington State
- March 22 -- offered by Texas State
- March 24 -- offered by Louisville
- March 25 -- offered by Arkansas State, Kentucky and Utah State
- March 26 -- offered by Mississippi State, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame and Oklahoma
- March 27 -- offered by LSU
- March 28 -- offered by Arizona State and Texas A&M
- March 29 -- offered by Syracuse
- March 31 -- offered by Georgia State
- April 1 -- offered by Missouri and Ohio State
- April 5 -- offered by Michigan State
- April 12 --offered by Wake Forest
- April 15 -- offered by Arkansas
- April 17 -- offered by Miami and Texas Tech
- April 18 -- offered by Florida
- April 23 -- offered by Georgia
- April 24 -- offered by Florida State
- April 28 -- offered by Penn State and Tennessee
- May 3 -- offered by TCU
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 -- offer from North Texas (1)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, UTSA (2)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (34)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (5)
- Samuel Miller, TE/DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis (2)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, ULL (3)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)