Texas High’s William Brown Offered by Arkansas State + Teammate Dale Williamson Picks Up South Dakota Offer
The second offer is in for Texas High's William Brown, who picked up an invitation from Arkansas State, the 2015 defensive lineman told ETSN.fm on Tuesday evening.
Brown (6-3, 259), who also holds an offer from Texas State as well an FCS offer from Central Arkansas, competed at Arkansas State's satellite camp in Texarkana on Tuesday and received the good news shortly thereafter.
Arkansas State, a member of the Sun Belt Conference, has now offered five East Texans in the 2015 class -- Brown, Nacogdoches cornerback and Oklahoma State commit Jaylon Lane, Lufkin offensive lineman Erik McCoy, Canton defensive lineman Samuel Miller and Longview offensive lineman Broderick Washington.
The Red Wolves finished 8-5 overall and 5-2 in conference play last season, earning a 23-20 win over Ball State in the Godaddy Bowl on Jan. 5. Their 2014 schedule includes non-conference games at Tennessee and Miami.
Brown had a strong showing at the second annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine in Tyler on June 1. He tied for the most bench reps of 225 pounds (12) out of the 14 defensive lineman that participated at the event, and held his own in several of the other testing drills.
Texas High had one of East Texas' top defenses in 2013, holding opponents to just 9.8 points per game during the regular season.
Tuesday was also a big day for Texas High 2015 athlete Dale Williamson, who picked up his first Division I offer from South Dakota, the Tigers' playmaker announced on Twitter.
South Dakota is an FCS school that competes in the Missouri Valley Conference. The Coyotes were 4-8 overall and 3-5 in league play last season.
Williamson (5-9, 164), who competed with the receivers at the ETSN.fm + APEC combine earlier this month, may also be a fit as a defensive back at the next level. He ran one of the 10 fastest laser-timed 40-yard dashes (4.54) out of the 115 athletes who participated at the event, and turned in top-10 performances in both the vertical jump (36.3 inches) and ladder (11.00 seconds).
Texas High finished 9-2 in 2013, which included a District 14-4A championship. They will compete in the new 15-5A this fall along with Greenville, Hallsville, Longview, Mount Pleasant, Marshall, Pine Tree and Sulphur Springs.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jarion Anderson, WR, Texas High, 5-11, 165 – committed to Tulsa (1)
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas; additional offer from ULM (2)
- William Brown, DL, Texas High, 6-3, 259 – offers from Arkansas State, Texas State (2)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (14)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Nick Cain, ATH, John Tyler, 5-10, 165 — offer from ULM (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Tulsa (4)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-0, 178 – offer from ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – committed to TCU; additional offers from North Texas, Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA (7)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Tyrone Hunt, DE, Arp, 6-4, 230 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Marcalas Johnson, Arp, 5-10, 181 – offer from Colorado State (1)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 6-0, 177 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (37)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (6)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas State, Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State, ULM, UTEP, UTSA (11)
- Chett Munden, OL, Marshall, 6-6, 303 — offer from North Texas (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-2, 178 — offers from Houston, Memphis, Texas State (3)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-3, 211 – offer from Navy, Rice, Toledo, Tulsa, ULM (5)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (6)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-6, 274 — offer from SMU (1)