Vanderbilt The Latest To Offer Mineola Offensive Tackle Riley Anderson
Riley Anderson did not have to wait very long to catch his twin brother in the scholarship count.
The 6-foot-5, 287-pound junior left tackle from Mineola announced Tuesday evening via Twitter that Vanderbilt approached him with a scholarship opportunity. The news comes five days after the Commodores offered his twin brother, Austin Anderson.
Vanderbilt's offer to Riley Anderson gave him his 16th unique college football choice and put him back into a tie with Austin Anderson (6-4, 289) for second place in East Texas' 2016 football recruiting class behind Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones.
Most of the 16 schools interested in landing the Andersons offered the twins simultaneously, but both Northwestern and Vanderbilt reached out to Austin Anderson several days ahead of Riley Anderson.
Either way, both tackles now have six offers from programs competing in major conferences. The list includes Kansas State, TCU and Texas Tech from the Big 12, Missouri and Vanderbilt from the SEC and Big Ten Conference member Northwestern.
Vanderbilt, located in Nashville, went 3-9 last season and was winless in SEC play under first-year head coach Derek Mason. However, it did play some competitive games against SEC East Division teams during the campaign, including closing the year with a narrow 24-17 defeat versus a promising Tennessee program.
The twins are the only players in the region to hold invitations to the Commodores' program.
All 32 combined offers for the Mineola standouts have come in a 32-day span.
The twins will return to head coach Joe Drennon's team for their senior campaign before becoming eligible to sign with any program that offers them on Feb. 3, 2016.
Mineola reached the Class 3A Division I championship game last season. It returns all of its offensive backfield, key pieces of a strong secondary and the majority of its offensive line aside from the brothers.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (16)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (16)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (36)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, 6-3, 202 – offers from California, Louisiana Tech, Texas State (3)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 6-0, 190 -- offer from Kansas (1)