Waskom Aims for Twelfth Win in Area Matchup with Rosebud-Lott
Class 2A Division II Region III
Waskom Wildcats (11-0)
Rosebud-Lott Cougars (9-2)
3 p.m. Saturday
Dragon Stadium, Southlake
- Waskom: Whitney Keeling
- Rosebud-Lott: Craig Jackson
- Waskom: won 56-17 vs. Union Grove
- Rosebud-Lott: won 43-16 vs. Deweyville
- Winner faces Crawford (11-0) or Arp (7-4) in a 2A D-II Region III semifinal.
- RB Kevin Johnson, Jr., 5-10, 165 (84 carries, 1,375 yards, 20 TDs)
- ATH June Bug Johnson, Jr., 5-8, 150 (85 carries, 1,107 yards, 14 TDs; 7 catches, 304 yards, 5 TDs)
- FB Dillon Benton (76 carries, 970 yards, 15 TDs)
- QB Trace Carter (16 of 31, 458 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT; 99 carries, 686 yards, 11 TDs)
- RB/LB Chandrin Amie, Soph., 5-10, 160 (16 carries, 236 yards, 2 TDs)
- DL Justin Spurlin, Sr., 5-7, 160
- WR Eric Stephens III (6 catches, 157 yards, 3 TDs)
- QB Artis Johnson, Sr. (110 of 188, 2,396 yards, 29 TDs, 9 INTs; 89 carries, 778 yards, 15 TDs)
- WR Juwon Roberson, Soph. (33 catches, 960 yards, 14 TDs)
- WR D.J. Johnson, Sr. (54 receptions, 1,185 yards, 13 TDs)
- RB Andrew Moore (96 carries, 859 yards, 11 TDs)
- RB Kyle Parker (97 carries, 716 yards, 6 TDs)
- OL/DL Austin Talafuse
- OL/DL Perrey Laury
Just the facts
- Rosebud-Lott has enjoyed a five-win turnaround so far this season after finishing 4-6 overall in 2012.
- Waskom's 56-17 first-round win against Union Grove was the Wildcats' first postseason victory since 1992, when they finished 10-2. That was also the last season Waskom reached the playoffs.
- Rosebud-Lott averages 43.2 points per game and yields 22.0.
- Waskom averages 56.5 points per game and allows 18.1.
- Rosebud-Lott has scored 43 or more points seven times in its first 11 games.
- Waskom has scored 56 or more points nine times in 11 contests.
- Rosebud-Lott's two losses were 52-32 at home to Centerville on Oct. 11 and 42-35 at home to Crawford on Oct. 18. Centerville and Crawford are a combined 21-1.
- Waskom's closest game was a 40-34 win at Paul Pewitt on Oct. 4. The Wildcats have beaten their other 10 opponents by at least 18 points.
- Rosebud-Lott's first 11 opponents have a combined record of 46-68.
- Waskom's first 11 opponents have a combined record of 50-66.
- Rosebud-Lott is 1-2 against teams with a winning record. The lone win came against Deweyville with the aforementioned losses Centerville and Crawford. The other eight teams the Cougars have played are a combined 16-63.
- Waskom is 5-0 against teams with a winning record, four of which are fellow Class 2A teams with a cumulative record of 30-14. All four made the playoffs, while Hughes Springs (10-1) is still alive in the postseason.
Did you know? Rosebud-Lott held Deweyville to less than 200 total yards of offense in last week's 43-16 first-round playoff win. ... This year's trip to the playoffs is the first for Rosebud-Lott since 2004, when the Cougars finished 6-5 and lost in the first round to another East Texas team: Alto. ... Waskom has averaged more than 10 yards per carry as a team the entire season. ... Waskom had to forfeit seven wins in 2012 because of an ineligible player, but on the field, the Wildcats are 18-3 since the start of last season. ... District 11-2A D-II, which is home to Rosebud-Lott, went 3-1 in the first round with the Cougars, Centerville, and Crawford winning by an average of 41.3 points. Buffalo lost 60-14 to undefeated Corrigan-Camden. ... District 9-2A D-II, which houses Waskom, went 2-2 in the first round. Waskom won by 39 points and Hughes Springs won by 26 points, but New Diana lost to undefeated Garrison 17-14 and Paul Pewitt fell to Arp 34-28 in overtime.