Whitehouse + Hallsville Battle in Tyler For Spot in Regional Semifinals
Region II Quarterfinal
No. 6 Whitehouse Wildcats (25-8)
No. 25 Hallsville Bobcats (28-5)
Series -- Tyler's Mike Carter Field
- Game 1: 7 p.m. Friday (May 17)
- Game 2: 1 p.m. Saturday (May 18)
- Game 3: follows Game 2 if necessary
How they got here
- Bi-District: def. Red Oak 2-0 in series (W 9-2, W 11-5)
- Area: def. Sulphur Springs 2-0 in series (W 7-5, W 8-3)
- Bi-District: def. Royse City 2-0 in series (W 13-1, W 7-1)
- Area: def. Mansfield Summit 2-0 in series (W 8-1, W 7-6)
Probable starting position players
- C -- Derek Clemons (.372, 1 HR, 35 RBIs, 8 2Bs)
- 1B -- Michael Nuon (.310, 2 HRs, 19 RBIs, 6 2Bs, 21 SBs)
- 2B -- Eric Munoz (.267, 7 RBIs, 6 2Bs)
- 3B -- Ryan Cheatham (.312, 21 RBIs, 11 2Bs)
- SS -- Patrick Mahomes (.350, 23 RBIs, 11 2Bs, 26 SBs)
- SS/3B -- Jake Parker (.322, 24 RBIs, 7 SBs)
- LF -- Jared Raabe (.351, 21 RBIs, 6 2Bs, 23 SBs)
- CF -- Coleman Patterson (.244, 4 RBIs, 13 SBs)
- RF -- Rex Swinney (.280, 17 RBIs, 8 2Bs)
- DH -- Aaron Clemons (.418, 46 RBIs, 8 2Bs)
- C -- Colton Oberthier
- 1B -- Logan Bailey (.337, 1 HR, 28 RBIs)
- 2B -- Cole Anderson (15 RBIs)
- 3B -- Austin Blakeley (.317, 1 HR, 25 RBIs)
- SS -- Ronnie Gideon (.403, 6 HRs, 34 RBIs)
- LF -- Macailyn Wilder
- CF -- Jacob Walker (.394, 1 HR, 29 RBIs, 21 SBs)
- RF -- Connor Reich (.383, 3 HRs, 31 RBIs)
- RF -- Coby Weaver
- DH -- Andy Guinea (.362, 20 RBIs)
Probable starting pitchers
- Patrick Mahomes (7-1, 1.88 ERA, 87 Ks, 59 BBs, 59.2 IP)
- Ryan Cheatham (11-0, 2.39 ERA, 76 Ks, 29 BBs, 73.1 IP)
- Peyton Conser (3-3, 1.73 ERA, 26 Ks, 13 BBs, 36.1 IP)
- Connor Reich (10-2, 0.87 ERA, 143 Ks, 88.1 IP)
- Coby Weaver (9-1, 2.32 ERA, 65 Ks, 57.1 IP)
- Austin Blakeley (4-0)
- Justus Fulton (3-0)
- Whitehouse coach Derrick Jenkins on probable Game 1 starter Patrick Mahomes, who walked seven in his last start vs. Sulphur Springs: "He's kinda walked guys all year long. You're always concerned about walks, you just hope it doesn't come in bunches. I know once he gets in a groove, he's going to be hard to hit. Hopefully he'll start off the game better than last week. But with it being a big game, I expect him to be good to go."
- Jenkins on his lineup, which is averaging more than eight runs a game in the playoffs: "It's kinda been a process of us trying to find the right lineup. A pitcher has to be pitch 1 through 9 against us, and that's hard to do. When guys have to get nine hitters out three times in a high school baseball game, that's a pretty rough spot."
- Hallsville coach Scott Mitchell on how his team has handled opponents pitching around Texas A&M signee Ronnie Gideon, who has 41 walks on the season: "That's been an occurrence and it's happened quite often throughout the year. But fortunately kids like Connor, Logan and Austin Blakeley have been able to produce behind him, which has been tremendous for our offense. That's been a really good thing for our guys, knowing they're going to see good pitches. Ronnie's handled it very well, he's done what he's supposed to do. He draws the walks and he's been able to get on base for us."
- Mitchell on his offensive attack, which is averaging more than eight runs per game in the playoffs: "I think that's a tribute to the district we were in. We saw a lot of really good pitching in the district overall. I think that's prepared us for the things we've been able to do so far (in the playoffs) offensively. We're young, but they're gaining a lot of experience."
Did you know?
- Whitehouse and Hallsville shared the same district last season, splitting their meetings. Hallsville won 5-0, and Whitehouse earned a 9-5 win.
- Hallsville starts four sophomores and one freshman. Its two top starting pitchers -- Connor Reich and Coby Weaver -- are both underclassmen.
- Hallsville began the season 10-0, and has won seven straight since dropping three games in district.
- Winner faces Frisco Wakeland or Prosper in a 4A Region II semifinal.