Cincinnati Offers Tyler Lee Quarterback Chance Amie
It's always nice to be regarded as an NCAA Division I quarterback prospect because, frankly, there just aren't a lot of opportunities for solid high school signal-callers to advance to the next level. Most schools sign one quarterback per year.
Tyler Lee quarterback Chance Amie broke through months ago and now has 15 FBS offers, but something special happened Tuesday evening.
Cincinnati invited the rising senior to join its program, Amie reported through his Twitter account.
That's a pretty big deal because first-year coach Luke Fickell and the surrounding Bearcats staff need to make a splash at the most high-profile position in their first full recruiting cycle. They have chosen Amie (6-3, 190) as a candidate to help them ingratiate themselves with the Bearcats fans.
Amie turned in a good junior campaign on the heels of a breakout sophomore season in relief of former quarterback Zach Hall, who missed three starts in 2015 due to injury.
While Lee went 2-8 last season, Amie completed 97 of 180 passes for 1,556 yards and recorded 10 touchdowns to seven interceptions. He carried the ball 183 times for a net of 1,265 yards and scored 17 touchdowns.
Four of Lee's losses came by one possession. Two of the losses were in spite of Lee scoring 50 or more points.
Amie is currently working with Lee head coach and quarterback specialist Clayton George. The 2017 season will be their second year together.
George previously coached current NFLer Chase Daniel, former Alabama starting quarterback Greg McElroy and current TCU starting quarterback Kenny Hill while the offensive coordinator at Southlake Carroll.
Cincinnati, which competes in the American Athletic Conference, went 4-8 last season. Former head coach Tommy Tuberville resigned at the end of the campaign, having never lost more than five regular season games his first three years.
Fickell joined the Bearcats program after spending the previous 14 seasons as a defensive coach at his alma mater, Ohio State. He served as the Buckeyes' interim head coach for the full 2011 season following the resignation of Jim Tressel and got the crippled program to a bowl game.
Cincinnati owns a 605-582-51 record through 121 seasons of competition.
Amie, like all college football prospects currently in their junior year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in December.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (7)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Georgia State, Houston, Iowa State, North Texas, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane, ULL, Virginia (15)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offers from Arkansas State, Army, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM (10)
- Drake Centers, Tatum, OL, 6-4, 295 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kris Dike, Van, OL, 6-6, 283 — offers from Colorado, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU (6)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 215 — offers from Houston, Mississippi State, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offer from ULL (1)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-4, 250 — offers from ULL, ULM (2)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 340 — committed to LSU; additional offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rice, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (16)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Marshall University, Nevada, North Texas, Southern Miss, Tulsa (10)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, UTSA (27)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 165 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (30)
- Jonathan Shepherd, Kilgore, WR, 6-3, 196 — offers from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Kansas State, ULM, New Mexico, Oregon State, TCU (7)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — committed to Washington State; additional offers from Kansas, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (7)