North Texas Offers Pittsburg’s Keontae Burns
One of the biggest recruits in East Texas' 2019 class received his area-leading fourth Division I FBS scholarship offer on Tuesday.
Pittsburg wide receiver Keontae Burns reported via Twitter that North Texas has joined the pursuit.
Burns (6-3, 175) also holds offers from Iowa State, SMU, and Southern Miss.
The Pirates' playmaker is the first East Texan in the 2019 class to be targeted by North Texas, but the Mean Green have reached out to seven area 2018 prospects.
Burns earned his first varsity letter in 2016 on a Pittsburg team that managed to make the playoffs out District 7-4A Division II with a 5-5 regular season record. The squad finished behind Gilmer, Pleasant Grove and Gladewater.
Gilmer ultimately reached the state semifinals, Pleasant Grove hit the regional semifinal level and Gladewater went two rounds deep while Burns and company met their end in the first round.
Burns caught 24 passes in 2016 — mostly from sophomore quarterback Jaylon Jimmerson — for a third-best 261 yards and a fourth-best three touchdowns. He recorded 43 tackles and two interceptions as a safety.
North Texas is coming off a 5-8 season under first-year coach Seth Littrell. Despite the losing record, the Mean Green reached a bowl game for the first time since 2014.
UNT fell to Army, 38-31, in the Heart of Texas Bowl in Dallas.
Burns, like all college football prospects currently in their sophomore year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in December of 2018.
2019 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jade Ashalintubbi, Elysian Fields, OL, 6-6, 331 —offers from Tulsa, ULM (2)
- Chance Billington, John Tyler, OL, 6-4, 275 — offer from SMU (1)
- Keontae Burns, Pittsburg, WR, 6-3, 175 — offers from Iowa State, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss (4)
- Coltin Clack, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 215 — offer from Florida Atlantic (1)
- Keivie Rose, Henderson, DE, 6-4, 220 — offers from Florida Atlantic, SMU, Tulane (3)