Texas Offers Carthage Running Back Keaontay Ingram
Keaontay Ingram picked up his eighth offer from a Big 12 Conference school Wednesday.
Texas did the honor just a few hours after putting the last touches on its 2017 recruiting class. The junior Carthage running back, who reported the news through his personal Twitter account, only needs scholarship opportunities from Kansas State and West Virginia to complete a sweep of the 10-team league.
Outside of Big 12 interest, Ingram (6-0, 198) owns FBS offers from Arkansas, Missouri and Notre Dame in addition to an invitation from FCS competitor Stephen F. Austin.
The Longhorns enter the picture under new management.
Tom Herman joined the program in November after two successful seasons as the head coach at the University of Houston. He has a 22-4 record as a head coach, won a national championship as offensive coordinator at Ohio State under Urban Meyer and previously earned in-state experience with stints as a positional coach with the Sam Houston State, Texas State and Rice programs.
Texas has a rich recruiting history within East Texas and added another chapter Wednesday. It successfully signed senior Hooks athlete Montrell Estell, senior John Tyler receiver Damion Miller and senior Nacogdoches defensive back Josh Thompson.
Bullard tight end Major Tennison and John Tyler quarterback Bryson Smith were other Longhorns targets in the 2017 class. Tennison enrolled early at Alabama and Smith declined his offer in favor of a longstanding commitment to Houston.
Ingram marks Texas' second venture into the regional 2018 class. Marshall guard Chasen Hines has a Longhorns offer as well.
Ingram finished his junior season as the Offensive MVP of the Class 4A Division I state championship game, which Carthage won. He recorded 2,225 rushing yards and 31 touchdowns on the ground through a 15-game campaign.
Carthage's primary back also caught 46 passes for 475 yards and two scores.
Ingram, like all college football prospects currently in their junior year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February of 2018.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offer from Mississippi State (2)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Bowling Green, Iowa State (2)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-0, 215 — offer from Mississippi State (1)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, C, 6-3, 340 — offers from Baylor, Louisiana Tech, LSU, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU (11)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 —offers from Arkansas, Kansas, SMU, Southern Miss, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, UTSA (8)