Tyler Lee’s Zach Hall Picks Up Offer From ULM
ULM turned Sunday to Zach Hall to help it make its first local splash after a noteworthy December.
Brand new head coach Matt Viator and the first pieces of his three-week-old Warhawks staff awarded the senior Tyler Lee quarterback a full ride scholarship opportunity in the evening hours. Hall then announced the news through his personal Twitter account.
It's offer No. 6 for the ETSN.fm Preseason Super Team signal caller. ULM joins FBS competitors Baylor, Missouri and Texas Tech in the late chase as well as Northwestern State and Stephen F. Austin from the FCS level.
Despite playing less than 70 percent of the 2015 football season due to a knee injury -- and a stronger overall running game compared to 2014 -- Hall contributed more than 1,700 total yards to his team's explosive offense as its dual-threat signal caller. He hit 3,000 total yards in 2014 to help guide Tyler Lee to a Class 6A bi-district playoff appearance.
Tyler Lee never scored less than 35 points with Hall under center this past season and averaged nearly 47 points per game. Unfortunately, the team's defense surrendered 45.2 points against through the same seven games and performed worse in Hall's absence.
The end result was a 5-5 overall record and a three-way tie for third place in District 11-6A with a 4-3 record. Tyler Lee missed to postseason on tiebreakers.
Hall has the athleticism to play other positions in college and some schools project him to play another skill position. In the Warhawks case, however, none of the program's six commitments that remained through the coaching transition have the capability to play quarterback at the next level.
ULM struggled in 2015, particularly offensively, for a 2-11 record. The administration fired head coach Todd Berry after a 1-9 start.
By nature of traveling to Honolulu, Hawaii, for a non-conference game against the University of Hawaii, the NCAA awarded the Warhawks a 13th regular season game.
The program closed the year on a high note with a 42-35 home win against New Mexico State in Sun Belt Conference competition.
The Warhawks' brass considers Viator a home run hire, especially as it pertains to recruiting Louisiana and the nearby regions. The coach just completed a 10-year stint at McNeese State with a 77-33 record and won the Southland Conference title four times, including in 2015.
Viator reached the FCS playoffs five times in the same span with two second-round appearances.
ULM has historically done well recruiting within East Texas.
Former Canton quarterback Chandler Eiland and former Canton defensive end Sam Miller signed with the program last February. Seven players from the region are slated to be a part of Viator's first Warhawks team.
Hall, like all high school senior football players, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him on Feb. 3.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Auburn, California, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (27)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — signed with Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Gabe Foster, RB/DB, Newton, 6-3, 180 — offers from Arkansas State, Purdue, Texas State, ULL, ULM (5)
- Ke’Mon Freeman, QB/ATH, Liberty-Eylau, 5-11, 188 – offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, SMU (3)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Alex Gregory, WR, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 175 — committed to Stephen F. Austin; additional offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offers from Baylor, Missouri, Texas Tech, ULM (4)
- La’Darius Hamilton, LB, Corrigan-Camden, 6-1, 220 — offers from Texas State, ULL (2)
- Adrian Harris, OL, John Tyler, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Tanner Holmes, LB, Newton, 6-3, 220 — committed to ULL (1)
- Jerrod Johnson, OL, Lufkin, 6-2, 290 — offer from ULM (1)
- Keenen Johnson, ATH, Alto, 6-1, 190 – committed to Tulsa; additional offers from North Texas, SMU, ULL (4)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Boise State, California, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UCLA, USC, Washington State (40)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Navy (5)
- Corey Lane, S, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, Lufkin 6-3, 202 – committed to Kansas State; additional offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State, Washington (6)
- Jarrod McLin, DE, Carthage, 6-4, 212 – committed to UTSA; additional offer from ULL (2)
- Denzel Mims, WR, Daingerfield, 6-4, 180 – committed to Baylor; additional offers from Arkansas State, North Texas, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (6)
- Cody Mitchell, TE, Jasper, 6-5, 225 — committed to ULL; additional offers from Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Texas State, (5)
- Jordan Morales, DL, Tyler Bishop Gorman, 6-3, 275 – offer from UTEP (1)
- Reshawn Parker, RB, Hooks, 6-1, 210 -- offer from Oklahoma State (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-6, 207 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM (11)
- Micahh Smith, DB, Marshall, 5-11, 185 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Aphonso Thomas, RB, Van, 5-10, 180 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Colorado State, Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, SMU, Texas State (6)
- Jeremy West, OL/DL, Chapel Hill, 6-2, 297 — committed to Northwestern State; additional offer from ULL (1)
- Andre Wiley Jr., OLB/S, Liberty-Eylau, 5-10, 170 – offers from Arkansas State, Army, Louisiana Tech, Navy, Texas State, Wyoming (6)