Austin Anderson Receives Offer From Vanderbilt
Make it two SEC schools interested in Mineola offensive tackle Austin Anderson.
The junior announced Thursday via his Twitter account that Vanderbilt offered him a college football scholarship opportunity. It's his third offer in three days and 15th overall.
Vanderbilt's offer made Anderson the second most recruited football player in East Texas' collective Class of 2016. He trails only Nacogdoches safety Brandon Jones (35 offers).
It's been a wild month for Anderson (6-4, 289) and his twin brother Riley Anderson (6-5, 287). The brothers share common offers between 14 schools with Vanderbilt currently being the exception. Conference foe Missouri is the other SEC team actively recruiting Austin Anderson.
Don't be surprised to see Riley Anderson pick up an offer from the Commodores soon. He has a history of receiving matching invitations a few hours and up to a few days after Austin Anderson.
Vanderbilt, located in Nashville, went 3-9 last season and was winless in SEC play under first-year head coach Derek Mason. However, it did play some competitive games against SEC East Division teams during the season, including closing the season with a narrow 24-17 defeat versus an emerging Tennessee program.
Austin Anderson is the first player in the region to hold a Vanderbilt offer.
The opportunity from the Commodores came on the heels of an offer from TCU on Tuesday and a scholarship from SMU on Wednesday. All 15 opportunities for Austin Anderson have arrived since Feb. 3.
Austin Anderson was instrumental in paving the way for a group of exclusively underclassmen runners for Mineola last season. He helped a run-dependent Yellowjackets offense amass 4,465 rushing yards and 53 touchdowns in a 16-game season culminating with a Class 3A Division I state championship game appearance.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Austin Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-4, 289 – offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Vanderbilt (15)
- Riley Anderson, OL, Mineola, 6-5, 287 – offers from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Illinois, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, North Texas, Northwestern, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulsa (14)
- Demarco Boyd, RB/LB, Gilmer, 6-0, 215 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Florida State, Texas A&M (4)
- Zach Hall, ATH, Tyler Lee, 5-11, 170 – offer from Texas Tech (1)
- Travon Fuller, CB, Athens, 6-0, 160 — committed to Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Boise State, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, USC, Washington State (35)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 285 – offers from Air Force, Army, Houston, Navy (4)
- Bronson Massie, DE/LB, 6-3, 202 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 — offer from North Texas, SMU (2)