East Texas Scholarship Leader, Nacogdoches Corner Jaylon Lane Selects Oklahoma State
Jaylon Lane made a national splash Sunday by announcing he has verbally committed to Oklahoma State in favor of 35 other schools hoping to land the 6-2, 185-pound Nacogdoches cornerback.
Lane even got a vague shout out from Oklahoma State head football coach Mike Gundy, as college coaches aren’t allowed to identify high school players by name in a public forum.
“Pistols Firing from Nacogdoches, TX! Welcome to the FAMILY! #BeACowboy #okstate,” Gundy wrote.
There are quite a few reasons to be excited about the defensive back. For starters, it’s a huge recruiting win for the Cowboys.
Lane chose Oklahoma State in favor of Big 12 scholarship opportunities from Oklahoma, TCU and Texas Tech plus invitations from defending national champion Florida State and other power players such as LSU, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Texas A&M.
The Nacogdoches prospect was briefly committed to Mississippi in early March, but he decided to look into more schools when an avalanche of new programs offered him scholarships. One of the first schools to offer Lane after he committed to Ole Miss was Oklahoma State.
Lane’s rise to 36 Division I football opportunities was fairly unconventional. He had no offers prior to Feb. 24 and has not gone seven complete days without a new football opportunity since.
The rising senior corner will help make up an extremely talented Nacogdoches defensive backfield. Current sophomore Brandon Jones leads East Texas’ 2016 recruiting class with 17 offers and Corey Lane — Jaylon Lane’s younger brother — has an invitation to join the Louisiana Tech football team after graduation in 2016.
Jaylon Lane spent the last two seasons at San Angelo Central High School where he recorded five interceptions, made 46 tackles and averaged almost 46 yards on five kickoff returns as a junior.
Oklahoma State, meanwhile, finished the 2013 season a game shy of winning the Big 12 championship and accepted an AT&T Cotton Bowl invitation.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – offer from North Texas (1)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (11)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, UTSA (4)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (36)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (5)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offers from Memphis, Nevada, UTSA (3)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis (2)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 – offer from Navy (1)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)