Elam Receives Offer from Arkansas
Roney Elam picked up his 10th college football scholarship Tuesday. Count Arkansas in on the chase.
The Newton defensive back now has five SEC offers, four Big 12 opportunities and one scholarship from Big Ten country.
Elam (6-2, 175), who reported the new scholarship through his own Twitter account, moves into a tie with Gilmer athlete Kris Boyd and Sulphur Springs safety Larry Pryor with 10 unique offers. He now only trails just Whitehouse safety Justin Dunning (11), Gladewater defensive tackle Daylon Mack (21) and Nacogdoches cornerback Jaylon Lane (33).
The Razorbacks have four other offers out for East Texans graduating in the Class of 2015. Those players are Boyd, Lane, Mack and Pryor.
Arkansas wrapped up the 2013 campaign with a 3-9 record under first-year head coach Bret Bielema. The head coach led Wisconsin to three consecutive Rose Bowl appearances prior to moving to Fayetteville for the vacant job.
The Razorbacks' program is rebuilding, but Bielema's new school has been well-received by recruits since he arrived in late 2012. Its 2014 class averaged in at No. 31 between the major football recruiting websites.
Bielema's first Arkansas recruiting class featured former Newton quarterback D.J. Dean. Now a cornerback, Dean played in all 12 of Arkansas' games as a true freshman.
Elam's offer list makes it possible a Newton player will sign with a power conference for the third consecutive year. Running back Kevin Shorter signed with Texas in February.
Elam played both ways for Netwon last season. He passed for 939 passing yards and 11 touchdowns and ran for 437 yards and five touchdowns while intercepting five passes and forcing one fumble on defense. His team went 12-1 and advanced to the Class 2A Division I regional semifinals.
The Newton product's other offers are from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, UTSA (2)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, South Alabama, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (33)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Oklahoma State, ULL (4)
- Samuel Miller, TE/DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 -- offers from Houston, Memphis (2)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)