Hallsville Caps Perfect Weekend At Rose City Classic With 5-3 Defeat of Lufkin
TYLER -- The Hallsville Bobcats finished a perfect weekend at the Rose City Classic with a 5-3 win over Lufkin on Saturday night at Mike Carter Field.
Hallsville junior left-hander Colton Brasher went the distance, allowing three runs (one earned) on three hits with four strikeouts and two walks in seven innings.
Brasher outdueled Lufkin junior lefty Trey Cumbie, who holds an offer from Rice and is of East Texas' top prospects in the 2015 class. Cumbie went six innings and allowed five runs (three earned) on four hits with eight strikeouts and five walks.
Hallsville scored two unearned runs off Cumbie in the top of the fifth to break a 3-3 tie. With one out and runners at first and second, Logan Bailey hit a ground ball to second, but the Lufkin second baseman overthrew first base. That allowed the runner from second to score, and when the throw from the catcher to third base skipped into left field, a second run came around to score.
Lufkin stranded a runner a second in the bottom of the fifth, went down in order in the sixth and couldn't extend the game after a two-out walk in the seventh.
The Panthers grabbed a 3-0 lead with three runs in the second. Cumbie singled in a run, while Mason McCarty and Timmy Martinez came home on two of Hallsville's three errors in the inning.
Hallsville cut the deficit to 3-2 in the third on consecutive RBI groundouts by Macailyn Wilder and Austin Blakeley, and tied the game in the fourth on Nathan Bailey's two-out RBI double that scored Weaver.
The Bobcats' season resumes Tuesday at home against Henderson, while Lufkin is back in action next weekend at the Brenham Tournament.
No. 7 Hallsville 5, Lufkin 3
Rose City Classic
At Mike Carter Field, Tyler
Hallsville 002 120 0 -- 5 5 3
Lufkin 030 000 0 -- 3 3 2
Pitchers and Catchers
- Hallsville: Colton Brasher and Nathan Bailey.
- Lufkin: Trey Cumbie, Austin Requena (7) and Tyler Abney.
WP -- Brasher
LP -- Cumbie.
- Hallsville: Bailey, Jacob Walker.
23rd Annual Rose City Classic
All games at Mike Carter Field in Tyler unless otherwise noted
- Game 1 — Lufkin 5, Carthage 1 (at UT Tyler’s Irwin Field)
- Game 2 — Hallsville 7, Lufkin Hudson 4
- Game 3 — Hallsville 9, Nacogdoches 4
- Game 4 — Sulphur Springs 11, Nacogdoches 8
- Game 5 — Atlanta 11, Sulphur Springs 6
- Game 6 — Tyler Lee 7, Atlanta 6 (eight innings)
- Game 7 — Hallsville 10, Carthage 0
- Game 8 — Sulphur Springs 6, Carthage 4
- Game 9 — Lufkin Hudson 8, Tyler Lee 3
- Game 10 — Nacogdoches 5, Lufkin 4
- Game 11 — Tyler Lee 6, Lufkin 6 (tie after 8 innings)
- Game 12 — Nacogdoches 4, Lufkin Hudson 2
- Game 13 — Atlanta 2, Lufkin Hudson 1
- Game 14 — Atlanta 8, Carthage 0
- Game 15 — Sulphur Springs 9, Tyler Lee 4
- Game 16 — Hallsville 5, Lufkin 3