Houston + Memphis First to Offer Tatum’s Kyshaun Smith
Playing big-time college football runs in the family of Tatum's Kyshaun Smith, so it comes as no surprise he will be afforded the opportunity to do the same.
Smith (6-1, 185), the son of former Oklahoma and Oakland Raiders linebacker Travian Smith, was given his first two offers Tuesday when both Houston and Memphis made the 2015 linebacker/safety hybrid a recruiting target.
The offer announcements were made on Kyshaun Smith's personal Twitter account Tuesday afternoon.
Smith became the 20th East Texas recruit in the 2015 class to receive at least one Division I FBS offer, while Memphs is the 51st unique FBS program to offer a regional prospect.
Last season as a junior, Smith played linebacker on defense and some running back. His size might preclude him from playing the linebacker spot in college, but he could fit nicely in a 4-2-5 alignment similar to those employed by both TCU and UTSA.
Houston and Memphis both compete in the American Athletic Conference, which made its debut in FBS last season.
The Cougars, which went 8-5 overall and 5-3 in conference play in 2013, have offered six East Texas recruits in the 2015 class -- Smith, Longview running back and Baylor commit JaMycal Hasty, Kilgore running back and Houston pledge Kevrin Justice, Nacogdoches cornerback Jaylon Lane, Lufkin receiver Terry Mark and Lufkin offensive lineman Erik McCoy.
Smith led Tatum with 145 tackles a season ago. He also made two interceptions, had a defensive touchdown, one forced fumble and four pass break-ups. Smith also ran for 199 yards and a touchdown on 19 attempts in 2013.
Tatum will field a team full of potential Division I prospects this fall. Among the key returnees to last season's 11-1 team are receiver Deyanta Roberson, quarterback J.D. Taylor and athletes Chaston Brooks and Devon Boyd.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, UTSA (2)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, South Alabama, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (33)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — offer from Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Oklahoma State, ULL (4)
- Samuel Miller, TE/DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 -- offers from Houston, Memphis (2)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)