Lufkin Quarterback Kordell Rodgers Offered By Arkansas State
Kordell Rodgers' recruiting process is gaining steam.
Arkansas State is the third FBS school and sixth Division I school overall to begin actively recruiting the junior Lufkin quarterback. Rodgers announced the Red Wolves program's scholarship opportunity through his personal Twitter account in the evening hours Wednesday.
Rodgers' latest offer coincided with a very busy day within the East Texas football sphere. A total of nine players received 12 new Division I offers from various schools across the country.
Arkansas State is now targeting six players from the area, including three it first took a serious interest in just this week.
Rodgers (5-10, 165) threw for 2,133 yards and 23 touchdowns during his junior year. He also ran for 599 yards and an additional five scores en route to a second-place finish in District 16-5A and a Class 5A Division I bi-district round playoff appearance.
Lufkin’s season unraveled in the second half of its sole playoff game — after Rodgers sustained a minor but game-ending injury.
Rodgers, and an experienced group of receivers, will headline Lufkin’s 2016 team as it makes the transition from Class 5A to Class 6A due to a growing student population. Beaumont West Brook, Conroe, Conroe Oak Ridge, Montgomery, The Woodlands and The Woodlands College Park will make up its District 12-6A competition.
Seven Lufkin players, including Rodgers, will attend the ETSN + APEC Football Recruiting Combine on Sunday.
Arkansas State is one of 30 schools nationally to have an active bowl streak of five or more years. It has been to six bowl games in total, a notable accomplishment for a school that joined the FBS ranks in 1992.
Head coach Blake Anderson is set to begin his third season in Jonesboro, Ark., in September.
Last season, Anderson's team posted a 9-3 regular season record and won the Sun Belt Conference championship with a perfect 8-0 league record. Two of the three losses came to USC and Missouri.
The season ended with a fourth loss to Louisiana Tech in the New Orleans Bowl.
As an aggressive non-conference scheduler, Rodgers would get to face at least Alabama, Miami and Nebraska during his collegiate career if he signs with the Red Wolves. Several schedule slots are still open in future seasons, particularly so for the 2019 season and beyond.
Rodgers, like all high school football prospects currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (12)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Tulsa (16)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offer from ULM (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Indiana, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (8)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (9)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, UTSA (14)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (12)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Arkansas State, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (14)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)