Miami Offers Gladewater’s Daylon Mack
Daylon Mack’s been wanting to hear from Miami lately. His hope was fulfilled Monday afternoon.
Gladewater’s heavily-pursued junior defensive tackle got an offer from the Hurricanes, he announced on Twitter.
Miami is the eighth school to offer the 6-foot-1, 310-pound Mack. The ‘Canes join Alabama, Oklahoma, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech on Mack’s offer list.
— Daylon Mack (@DaylonMack) July 8, 2013
Mack had a breakout sophomore season in 2012, when he recorded 64 tackles, 16 for loss, six sacks, and six fumble recoveries to earn Defensive Newcomer of the Year honors on the ETSN.fm East Texas Football Super Team. Mack is the consensus No. 1 recruit in East Texas’ 2015 class, which early on appears to be one of the region’s strongest in recent memory.
He won overall Defensive MVP honors and the top defensive lineman award at the ETSN.fm Football Recruiting Combine at APEC training facility in Tyler on May 19 with an eye-opening performance in testing and lineman one-on-ones. He ran the fastest 40-yard dash of any of the event’s 21 players 230 pounds or heavier with a 4.84-second laser-timed run. He also had the second-most bench reps at 225 pounds with 21 and recorded vertical and broad jumps of 30 inches and nine feet even, respectively.
Mack plans to visit Texas on July 27. He’s recently stated on Twitter that Miami’s tradition — especially on the defensive side of the ball — make the Hurricanes an interesting recruiting option. Texas A&M has long been considered the team to beat in Mack’s recruitment, although he has recently chosen to slow down the commitment process so he can make as well-researched a decision as possible.
He’s the second East Texan in the 2014 or 2015 class with a Miami offer, joining Lufkin senior defensive tackle D.J. Williams (6-4, 293).
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 175 — offers from TCU, Texas (2)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offer from North Texas (1)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Oklahoma, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, WR/S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — offers from Baylor, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (5)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — offers from Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (4)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — offers from Baylor, Mississippi State (2)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 310 — offers from Alabama, Miami, Oklahoma, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, (7)
- Johnny Shaw, S, Center, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas; additional offer from TCU (2)