North Texas First to Offer Frankston’s Kendrick Rogers
The first Division I FBS offer is in for Frankston 2016 wide receiver Kendrick Rogers, and it's from North Texas, the Frankston coaching staff told ETSN.fm on Friday afternoon.
Rogers (6-4, 185) seems to fit the recent trend of the Mean Green going after tall receivers from East Texas. UNT signed Carthage's pass-catching duo of Terian "Tee" Goree (6-2) and O'Keeron Rutherford (6-5) in February, and offered John Tyler wideout Rodney Bendy (6-4) last weekend.
The Frankston playmaker enjoyed breakout success as sophomore, hauling in 47 catches for 727 yards and five touchdowns in helping his team reach the playoffs last fall.
The 2016 class of East Texas recruits is now five members strong with three picking up their first FBS offers in the span of the last nine days. Nacogdoches safety Corey Lane and John Tyler defensive tackle Braylon Jones received their first offers last week -- Lane from Louisiana Tech and Jones from Navy.
In addition to Bendy, North Texas has 2015 offers out to Whitehouse cornerback Nate Brooks and Lufkin offensive lineman Erik McCoy.
The Mean Green were extremely active in the 2014 East Texas class, signing five of the region's players -- Goree, Rutherford, Elkhart running back Jeffery Wilson, Sulphur Springs running back Willy Ivery and Pine Tree quarterback Caleb Chumley.
Frankston finished 4-7 a season ago to qualify for the postseason despite an 0-4 start to the year. With Rogers and dual-threat quarterback Ozzie Buckner returning, Frankston hopes to become a force in the new District 8-3A Division II, which also features Arp, Elysian Fields, New Diana, Troup, Waskom, West Rusk and Winona.
2016 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Travon Fuller, ATH, Athens, 6-0, 160 – offer from Texas A&M (1)
- Brandon Jones, S, Nacogdoches, 6-0, 190 — offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, Houston, Louisiana Tech, LSU, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Purdue, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Washington State (17)
- Braylon Jones, DT, John Tyler, 6-3, 275 – offer from Navy (1)
- Corey Lane, S, Nacogdoches, 5-11, 185 – offer from Louisiana Tech (1)
- Kendrick Rogers, WR, Frankston, 6-4, 185 -- offer from North Texas (1)