Texas High Running Back Javon Thomas Receives Invitation to Join Navy Football
Navy has been kicking the tires around East Texas lately and the Midshipmen have now settled on at least one player they would like to invite to the United States Naval Academy.
They want Texas High running back Javon Thomas, as first reported by NetworkAthletics.com.
The 6-foot-2, 195-pound back joins 21 other rising seniors in East Texas' 2015 recruiting class, and he's the first player from Texas High to hold an invitation to play college football.
Thomas is a big running back with a remaining summer to build upon his base and room to grow even more once he enters a college's training program. He's a smart runner who finds lanes and can either take contact head on or find a way to cross up defenders in the open field.
The tailback also has demonstrated the ability to catch the ball in the backfield and on short, high-percentage routes a few yards upfield.
Running backs are very important to Navy's success as an option attack team. The Midshipmen had the third-best rushing attack in the nation last season behind only Auburn and Ohio State with 4,230 yards through 12 regular season games and a Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl win, an average of 325.4 yards per game.
The program will join the American Athletic Conference for the 2015 football season after a rich history as an independent, but it is expected to maintain high-profile games against Notre Dame and Army plus an annual game against Air Force.
Navy players, like all of its graduating students, go on to serve in the United States Navy or Marine Corps for a minimum of five years and are immediately ranked as ensigns of the Nay or second lieutenants in the Marines.
The Midshipmen are the 51st unique program to offer an array of 22 East Texas football players from the 2015 class.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 -- offer from North Texas (1)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from Northern Illinois, UTSA (2)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (34)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (5)
- Samuel Miller, TE/DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offer from UTSA (1)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis (2)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 -- offer from Navy (1)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, ULL (3)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)