Texas High’s Javon Thomas + Jarion Anderson Invited to Join Tulsa
The Golden Hurricanes made two moves in Texarkana on Tuesday.
Tulsa extended football scholarships to Texas High running back Javon Thomas and receiver Jarion Anderson. It's the fourth unique offer for Thomas and the first for Anderson.
Anderson (5-9, 167) is a smooth running slot receiver and kick returner with deceptive speed. He is the 25th East Texas player in the Class of 2015 with at least one FBS offer.
Thomas' recruiting is beginning to take off. In addition to Tulsa's invitation, the running back has received scholarship opportunities with Navy, Rice and Toledo since May 5.
He's a smart runner (6-2, 195) who finds lanes and can either take contact head on or find a way to cross up defenders in the open field. The tailback also can catch the ball in the backfield with ease.
Tulsa will begin competition in the American Athletic Conference after multiple successful seasons in Conference USA. Its offense took a step back in 2013 with a young team, but the Golden Hurricanes finished the 2012 season with an 11-3 record, won the Conference USA title and then topped Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl to avenge an opening weekend loss against the Cyclones.
The program is headed by fourth-year head coach Bill Blankenship. Prior to joining the Golden Hurricane's program as an assistant coach in 2007, Blankenship coached Tulsa Union High School to three Oklahoma Class 6A state championships, never missed the playoffs, amassed a 56-game home unbeaten streak and won eight consecutive district championships in his 14-year Union career.
Tulsa extended an additional offer to New Boston athlete Jeff Gladney on Tuesday.
2015 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jarion Anderson, WR, Texas High, 5-9, 167 -- offer from Tulsa (1)
- Rodney Bendy, WR, John Tyler, 6-4, 180 – committed to North Texas (1)
- Kris Boyd, ATH, Gilmer, 6-0, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Cal, Florida State, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (13)
- Nate Brooks, DB, Whitehouse, 6-0, 150 — offers from Louisiana Tech, North Texas (2)
- Key’Vantanie “KeKe” Coutee, ATH, Lufkin, 5-10, 160 — offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech (3)
- Justin Dunning, S, Whitehouse, 6-4, 200 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arizona State, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt (11)
- Brandon Durman, LB, Tyler Lee, 6-2, 210 – committed to Louisiana Tech (1)
- Chandler Eiland, QB, Canton, 6-1, 186 – Offer from ULM (1)
- Roney Elam, CB/S, Newton, 6-2, 175 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (10)
- Jeff Gladney, ATH, New Boston, 6-0, 174 – offer from North Texas, Northern Illinois, Rice, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA (6)
- JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview, 5-9, 181 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Houston, Oklahoma State, Oregon, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (8)
- Kevrin Justice, RB, Kilgore, 5-11, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Jaylon Lane, CB, Nacogdoches, 6-2, 185 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Boise State, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Houston, Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Alabama, Syracuse, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, UCLA, ULL, Utah State, Wake Forest, Washington State (37)
- Blake Lynch, QB/ATH, Troup, 6-3, 193 — committed to Baylor; additional offers from Clemson, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU (6)
- Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater, 6-1, 311 – committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, SMU, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, USC (21)
- Terry Mark, WR, Lufkin, 6-1, 180 — committed to Houston (1)
- Erik McCoy, OL, Lufkin, 6-4, 297 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State, ULL (6)
- Samuel Miller, DE, Canton, 6-3, 220 – offers from Memphis, Nevada, North Texas, Oregon State, Texas State, ULM, UTSA (7)
- Larry Pryor, S, Sulphur Springs, 6-1, 185 — committed to Texas A&M; additional offers from Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech (10)
- Kyshaun Smith, S/LB, Tatum, 6-1, 185 — offers from Houston, Memphis, Texas State (3)
- Javon Thomas, RB, Texas High, 6-2, 195 – offer from Navy, Rice, Toledo, Tulsa (4)
- Jackson Tyner, QB, Edgewood, 6-5, 220 – committed to Rice (1)
- Broderick Washington, OL, Longview, 6-3, 285 — offer from Arkansas State, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, ULL, UTSA (6)
- Matthew Weeks, OT, Tyler Lee, 6-5, 260 — offer from SMU (1)