Three East Texans Grab First-Team Spots on Associated Press Class A All-State Football Team
Three East Texans landed first-team spots on the Associated Press Sports Editors Class A all-state football team.
San Augustine senior receiver Dez Randle, Cayuga junior running back Keshawn Jackson and Carlisle junior kicker Angel Garza each received the honor, which was based on regular-season performance and voted on by members of the APSE.
Anson teammates -- quarterback Jalen Garza and defensive lineman Lance Norman -- were voted Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year, respectively.
Randle caught 51 passes for 1,079 yards and 19 touchdowns for San Augustine during the regular season. Jackson ran for 1,879 yards and 27 touchdowns for Cayuga, while Perez went 7 of 8 on field goals with a long of 42 yards, was 30 of 33 on PAT's and was responsible for 14 touchbacks.
Four East Texans earned spots on the second team. They were: Alto senior kicker Nicolas Leon, Overton junior defensive lineman Seth Garrett, Tenaha senior defensive lineman Denzelle Williams and Mount Enterprise senior punter Ty Ham.
Area players that earned honorable mention were: San Augustine quarterback JaMikel Roberts, Tenaha running back Chavis Gregory, Mount Enterprise running back Justin Johnson, Alto running back Jacolby Whitaker, West Sabine running back West Sabine, Overton kicker Michael Phillips, West Sabine defensive lineman Ty Fore, Alto defensive lineman Tyarius Hackett, West Sabine linebacker Hunter Cabral, Carlisle linebacker Gustavo Martinez, Alto linebacker Logan Smith, Carlisle defensive back Bryce McGowan and Carlisle punter Angel Garza.
Associated Press Sports Editors Class A All-State Football Team
- MANUEL ALMEDA, Ganado, Sr. — 98 percent grade, 30 pancake blocks, 7 knockdowns, no sacks allowed.
- TRENT ANDREWS, Bosqueville, Sr. — 51 pancakes, 70 knockdowns, no sacks allowed in 3 seasons
- WILL MALEK, Ganado, Sr. — Graded at 98 percent, 63 pancakes, 19 knockdowns, no sacks allowed
- TRISTAN PATTERSON, Wellington, Sr. — 32 pancakes, no sacks allowed for offense that averaged 436 yards
- JOE VALDERAS, Bruni, Sr. — Graded at 96 percent, 47 pancake blocks, didn’t allow a sack
- KYLE ZAVALA, Mason, Jr. — Graded at 95 percent, 43 pancakes, no sacks allowed
- DEZ RANDLE, San Augustine, Sr. — 51-1,079, 19 TDs receiving
- JARED REAGAN, Booker, Jr. — 108-1,334, 12 TDs receiving
- JALEN GARZA, Anson, Sr. — 112-198-1,963, 29 TDs passing, 6 INTs; 168-1,325, 18 TDs rushing
- TERRY GILBREATH, Wellington, Sr. — 116-1,876 rushing yds, 25 TDs, 16.2 yds per carry; 326 yds receiving
- KESHAWN JACKSON, Cayuga, Jr. — 198-1,879 yards, 27 TDs rushing
- CORY KYLE, Seagraves, Soph. — 221-2,286, 28 TDs rushing
- ANGEL GARZA, Carlisle, Jr. — 14 touchbacks, 30-33 PATs, 7-8 FGs, long of 42
Offensive Player of the Year: Jalen Garza, Anson
- BRAYDAN ANDEL, Ganado, Sr. — 105 tackles, 16 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 3 fumble recoveries
- LANCE NORMAN, Anson, Sr. — 117 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 22 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 5 blocked kicks
- KAMERON SMITH, Chilton, Sr. — 139 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, 8 sacks, 6 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries
- WALKER WILLIAMS, Wellington, Sr. — 105 tackles, 16 sacks
- LOUIS BROWN, Burton, Sr — 160 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 27 tackles for loss, 2 INTs, 2 defensive TDs
- DILLON KIRKLAND, Farwell, Sr. — 185 tackles, 5 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 2 INTs
- EDGAR TELLEZ, Wellington, Sr. — 105 tackles, 5 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, INT
- JACOB CALLAHAN, Iraan, Jr. — 137 tackles, 7 tackles for loss, 4 INTs, 4 forced fumbles
- KYLE PEGGRAM, Olton, Jr. — 11 INTs, 65 tackles
- CLAY VESELY, Ganado, Sr. — 89 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 19 pass breakups, 4 INTs, 3 forced fumbles, INT returned for TD
- HAZE WOOD, San Angelo TCL Academy, Sr. — 54 tackles, 6 INTs, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 4 INT returns for TDs
- CLINT SIDWELL, Muenster, Sr. — 29 punts, 38.0 avg., long of 67, 15 inside 20, 8 inside 10
Defensive Player of the Year: Lance Norman, Anson
- Nick Dyer, Mason, Sr.; Damion Montes, Sudan, Sr.; Javier Rocha, Albany, Sr.; Johnny Serratt, Hico, Jr.; Colby Wilganowski, Bremond, Sr.
- Shelton Toliver, Roscoe, Sr.; James Washington, Stamford, Sr.
- Hunter Lile, Booker, Jr.
- Devan Harris, Quinlan Boles, Sr.; Barry Johnson, Sudan, Jr.; Justin Twine, Falls City, Sr.
- NICOLAS LEON, ALTO, SR.
- Zain Byers, Italy, Sr.; Draven Denison, Bremond, Sr.; SETH GARRETT, OVERTON, JR.; DENZELLE WILLIAMS, TENAHA, SR.
- Monroe Luther, Springlake-Earth, Sr.; Jacob Stafford, Shiner, Sr.; Eric Wiatrek, Falls City, Sr.
- D’Marcus Cosby, Mart, Soph.; Jonathan Flores, Woodsboro, Sr.; Evan Sargent, Bremond, Jr.; Riley Schaefer, Thorndale, Sr.
- TY HAM, MOUNT ENTERPRISE, SR.
HONORABLE MENTION OFFENSE
- LINEMEN: Ethan Bredemyer, Winters; Damon Butterfas, Goldthwaite; Jared Endres, Muenster; Justin Fierova, Woodsboro; Mark Garcia, Brackettville; Carlos Guzman, Eldorado; H.L. James, Christoval; Andrew Keith, De Leon; Miguel Luna, La Pryor; Ethan Nall, Albany; Tyler Neatherlin, Stamford; Shane Robertson, Springlake-Earth; Ray Romero, Christoval; Jerico Thompson, Munday; Tanner Vance, Stamford.
- RECEIVERS/ENDS: Austin Aguirre, Normangee; Brett Anderson, Kerens.
- QUARTERBACKS: Klark Ashmore, Wellington; Zach Barton, Seymour; Tyler Hall, Panhandle; Jordan Millar, Milano; JAMIKEL ROBERTS, SAN AUGUSTINE; Colten Stephenson, Brackettville; De’Nerian Thomas, Mart; Bo Wimberly, Stamford.
- RUNNING BACKS: Tanner Demuth, Burton; Brandon Garcia, San Angelo TLC Academy; CHAVIS GREGORY, TENAHA; JUSTIN JOHNSON, MOUNT ENTERPRISE; Tyrone Johnson, Hamlin; Caleb Masters, Albany; David Ortega, Brackettville; Kaleb Reese, Ralls; Charles Simpson, Chilton; Clay Vesely, Ganado; JACOLBY WHITAKER, ALTO; NICK WILLIAMS, WEST SABINE.
- KICKER: MICHAEL PHILLIPS, OVERTON.
HONORABLE MENTION DEFENSE
- LINEMEN: Trent Andrews, Bosqueville; Kaleb Carroll, Miles; Robert Castillo, La Pryor; Uriel Delgado, Sudan; TY FORE, WEST SABINE; TYARIUS HACKETT, ALTO; Jared Hussman, Albany; Trevor Melton, Stratford; Mitchel Mica, Flatonia; Hunter Munden, Albany; Cooper Newsom, Brackettville; Cody Niemtschk, Thorndale; Jaggar Parrish, Goldthwaite; Sadler Pinkerton, Olton; Andrew Rodriquez, Stamford; Ty Shaw, Sudan; Lane Turner, Hico; Cole Walterscheid, Muenster; Colby Wilganowski, Bremond.
- LINEBACKERS: Anthony Aldaco, Brackettville; Zack Ballard, Olney; Will Bruns, Flatonia; HUNTER CABRAL, WEST SABINE; Baltazar Castro, Seymour; Hagen Davis, Chico; Jose De Leon, Brackettville; Tanner Demuth, Burton; Harrison Hull, Bremond; Blake Hyles, Hico; Barry Johnson, Sudan; Justin Jones, Albany; GUSTAVO MARTINEZ, CARLISLE; Tyler McLemore, Stamford; Sam Millsap, Iola; Collin Nail, Mart; Jackson O’Harrow, Eldorado; Ray Parmer, Tahoka; Jared Reagan, Booker; Ryder Sawyer, Iraan; LOGAN SMITH, ALTO; Tanner Stone, Stratford; Tanner Wells, Christoval; Garrett Wilson, Axtell.
- DEFENSIVE BACKS: Darryl Calloway, Shamrock; Michael Cotter, Albany; John Ray Gonzales, La Pryor; Seth Hudson, Mason; Hunter Lile, Booker; BRYCE McGOWAN, CARLISLE; Stetson Meek, Anson; Skyler Mireles, Sabinal; Elijah Ramon, Springlake-Earth; EZ Rivas, Brackettville; Trey Robertson, Italy; Auston Sadberry, De Leon; James Washington, Stamford.
- PUNTERS: ANGEL GARZA, CARLISLE; Brian McCasland, Goldthwaite.