Arkansas First to Offer Lufkin’s Jerrin Thompson
Lufkin should be a popular destination for college coaches over the next several months with the amount of Division I talent on the roster.
Panthers 2020 safety Jerrin Thompson will be among the reasons for coaches' visits, and on Monday evening he received his first FBS scholarship offer.
Thompson (6-0, 170) reported an Arkansas offer via Twitter.
Lufkin currently has five Division I targets in the 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes.
In addition to Thompson, the Panthers' Division I targets include DT Carl Williams, TE/DE Breylon Garcia, and DE Javasia Brunson in the 2019 class, along with 2020 WR Ja'Lynn Polk.
Thompson was a breakout star on the defensive side of the ball in 2017. He finished with 95 tackles, four interceptions, and four forced fumbles in helping lead Lufkin to an 11-3 record and berth in the Class 6A Division II quarterfinals.
Chad Morris, previously at SMU, took over the Arkansas program from Bret Bielema last month. He has with him Jeff Traylor as associate head coach and running backs coach. Traylor is a native of Gilmer where he also coached the Buckeyes to three state championships in 15 seasons from 2000-14.
Thompson, like all sophomores, is first eligible to sign with any team that offers him in December 2019.
2020 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (5)
- Khalan Griffin, Chapel Hill, QB/ATH, 5-11, 180 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Tren Jones, Arp, ATH, 6-0, 170 — offer from Baylor (1)
- Ja’Lynn Polk, Lufkin, WR, 6-2, 170 — offer from Illinois (1)
- James Sylvester, Newton, DE, 6-4, 215 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor (2)
- Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin, S, 6-0, 170 -- offer from Arkansas (1)