Army Becomes First to Offer Athens’ Noah Bush
Athens junior linebacker Noah Bush became the 16th player in East Texas' 2017 recruiting class to receive a Division I FBS offer when Army pulled the trigger.
Bush (6-2, 225) announced the news on Twitter, Wednesday evening.
Army, which was the very first college football powerhouse with three national championships and two Heisman Trophy winners from 1944-46, is the first U.S. service academy to offer an East Texas athlete in the current recruiting cycle.
The Black Nights are one of three FBS members independent from conference affiliation, and are coming off a 2-10 season in 2015 that ended with a hard-fought 21-17 loss in the iconic Army-Navy series -- the rivalry's 116th installment.
Army is coached by Jeff Monken, who will be entering his third season in charge this fall.
Bush was a force on the defensive side of the ball for Athens last year, registering 151 tackles -- five behind the line of scrimmage -- with nine QB pressures and an interception.
He helped Athens capture the District 8-4A Division I title in 2015, as the Hornets finished with an 8-4 record and an appearance in the second round of the playoffs.
Bush is scheduled to participate in the fourth annual ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine, powered by Azalea Orthopedics, on May 22 in Tyler after earning honorable mention recognition as last year's event.
Like all 2017 prospects, Bush can officially sign with the school of his choosing in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, Kansas, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, UTSA (8)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 -- offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, North Texas, Syracuse (6)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (6)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from SMU, Tulane, ULL (3)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Tulsa, ULL, ULM (4)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Houston, SMU, Texas State, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (9)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (9)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Louisiana Tech, SMU, Tulane, UTSA (4)