Baylor Offers Nacogdoches Defensive Back Josh Thompson
East Texas' football scholarship leader added to his advantage Thursday.
Baylor did the honor, presenting Nacogdoches defensive back and Texas verbal commitment Josh Thompson his 29th college choice among NCAA Division I FBS schools alone. Thompson reported the news through his personal Twitter account.
The Bears program has been the most active within the region in recent weeks for a pretty simple reason. It is transitioning to new head coach Matt Rhule, hired Dec. 6, from interim head coach Jim Grobe and the carryovers that worked under fired coach Art Briles.
It took Rhule nine days to make his first local move, but Thompson's offer marked Baylor's fifth offer to a local prospect in about half a month's time.
John Tyler quarterback Bryson Smith was Rhule's first target. Smith effectively declined the offer by reconfirming his commitment to Houston once that school hired Major Applewhite.
Rhule moved onto Henderson's senior duo of receiver Trestan Ebner and running back Lakendrick VanZandt. Ebner backed off from claiming himself as a TCU commitment after getting the Baylor offer, but he has not committed to another program. VanZandt held firm to TCU.
Carthage junior running back Keaontay Ingram was the fourth player to hear from Rhule. He is uncommitted.
Thompson -- the third consecutive regional scholarship leader out of Nacogdoches' defensive backfield -- had a successful senior season despite his team being eliminated from postseason contention in the final six seconds of the regular season. While opposing offenses largely stayed away from his side of the field, he recorded 71 tackles and accounted for six takeaways through 10 games.
Baylor wrapped up its sole season under Grobe last week with a win against Boise State in the Motel 6 Cactus Bowl for a 7-6 record.
The Bears aren't far removed from being the Big 12's premiere program. They won the 2013 league championship and tied for first place in 2014.
Like all college football prospects currently in their senior year of high school, Thompson will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him on Feb. 1.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tristan Allen, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 206 — committed to Louisiana Tech; additional offer from UTEP (2)
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (13)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-1, 216 — offers from Air Force, Army (2)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Terrell Cooper, Lindale, DE, 6-3, 240 — offers from Arkansas State, Memphis, North Texas, Texas State (4)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Baylor, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, Texas A&M, TCU, Tulsa (20)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offers from ULM, Wyoming (2)
- Tre Gatlin, Carthage, DE, 6-6, 210 —offer from Wyoming (1)
- Quan Hampton, Texas High, WR, 5-8, 165 — committed to Texas State; additional offer from Kansas (2)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — committed to ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — committed to Louisiana Tech; additional offers from ULM, UTSA (3)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — offer from Air Force, Army (2)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-10, 186 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Army, Colorado, Houston, Navy, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (8)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — committed to Oklahoma State; additional offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, New Mexico State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (13)
- Javonta Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Cade Pearson, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 193 — committed to North Texas; additional offer from Wyoming (2)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — committed to Texas State; additional offers from Air Force, Army (3)
- Dez Robinson, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 210 — offers from UTEP, Wyoming (2)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — committed to Texas State; additional offers from Arkansas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-1, 177 — committed to North Texas; additional offers from Air Force, Memphis, Navy (4)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Baylor, Bowling Green, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (18)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, DE/LB, 6-3, 225 — committed to Air Force; additional offers from ULM, UTEP (3)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Alabama; additional offers from Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, Texas, Texas Tech, UCLA (14)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Arizona State, Arkansas State, Baylor, Colorado State, Fresno State, Houston, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Missouri, North Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, SMU, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, UCLA, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (29)
- Lakendrick VanZandt, Henderson, S, 6-1, 196 — committed to TCU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Baylor, Houston, Memphis, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Tulane, Tulsa (9)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offer from ULM (1)