Colorado State Offers Gilmer Receiver LaMarcus Morton
Colorado State has joined the mix of programs from across the nation interested in landing at least one current local football player.
Gilmer receiver LaMarcus Morton is the Rams program's first East Texas target. The rising senior announced the news through his personal Twitter account Thursday evening.
Morton (6-2, 175) recorded 589 yards and seven touchdowns during his junior campaign. He led a pack of 10 Gilmer players with at least 100 yards and a group of 17 players that caught at least one pass on the way to a Class 4A Division II state semifinals appearance.
Gilmer enjoyed roughly half of a 31-game winning streak during the 2015 season. It dated back to Week 1 of the 2014 campaign, highlighted by a Class 4A Division II state championship.
Morton holds other FBS offers from Arkansas State, Indiana, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Texas Tech, Tulsa and UTSA. Stephen F. Austin also is actively recruiting him.
Mike Bobo's first season as Colorado State's head coach was really a tale of two different seasons. His team won its final four games of the 2015 campaign following a 3-4 start to clinch a bowl appearance.
The Rams' year ended with a 28-23 loss to fellow Mount West Conference foe Nevada in the Arizona Bowl for a 7-6 final record.
Bobo joined Colorado State from Georgia, his alma mater. He was Georgia's quarterbacks coach for 13 years and simultaneously held the title of offensive coordinator from 2007 through his departure date.
Notable alumni that worked directly under Bobo, a former Georgia quarterback himself in the 1990s, were quarterbacks Matthew Stafford and Aaron Murray.
Colorado State will toward a fourth straight bowl appearance during the 2016 season.
Morton, like all high school prospects currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (12)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Tulsa (13)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offer from ULM (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Indiana, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (8)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (8)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Texas State, ULM (2)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, UTSA (12)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (12)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULM, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (10)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)