Gilmer Receiver LaMarcus Morton Adds Offer From Memphis
LaMarcus Morton now has three Division I offers in a two-day span.
Memphis expanded the junior Gilmer receiver's run by offering a college scholarship opportunity. Morton, who earned an offer earlier in the day from Louisiana Tech as well as an opportunity from Incarnate Word on Wednesday, first announced the Tigers program's news through his personal Twitter account.
The Tigers have been somewhat active regionally, particularly Thursday. It gave Tyler Lee safety Makyle Sanders his first offer before moving on to Morton (6-2, 175).
Tyler Bishop Gorman receiver Judah Bell also owns an offer from Memphis to round out the trio of East Texans currently on radar.
Morton was part of a Gilmer offensive machine last season in an undefeated run to the Class 4A Division II state semifinals. He helped maintain a winning streak of 31 games, dating back to Week 1 of the 2014 season, before the campaign ended with a loss to state runner-up Celina.
Gilmer produced 6,357 yards of offense through its 15-game season, and the production was nearly dead even between the passing and running facets.
Ten receivers caught for at least 100 yards last season and 17 players touched the ball toward 3,199 receiving yards in total. But Morton led the way with 589 yards and seven touchdowns on 34 receptions.
Morton boxed out the next closest receiver by 118 yards, which has helped garner offers from 10 FBS programs overall.
Memphis loves to fling the ball around as much as Gilmer. Its most recent quarterback, Paxton Lynch, went 26th overall in last month's NFL Draft.
Lynch will presumably succeed the retired Peyton Manning as the Denver Broncos' starting quarterback.
The Tigers program will be led by new head coach Mike Norvell, who spent the previous few seasons as offensive coordinator at Arizona State under Todd Graham.
Norvell replaced Justin Fuente, the new head coach at Virginia Tech, following an undefeated run through the month of October with Memphis last year.
Memphis finished the season with a 9-4 record following a loss to Auburn in the Birmingham Bowl.
Morton, like all high school football prospects currently in their junior year, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (12)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-2, 225 — offer from Army (1)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Tulsa (16)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offer from ULM (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offer from ULM (1)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (10)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Arkansas State, Houston, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM, UTSA (9)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-2, 175 -- offer from Memphis (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (15)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (12)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by Arkansas State, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Ohio, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (14)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)