Henderson’s Trestan Ebner Picks Up Offer From North Texas
People just won't leave SMU verbal commitment Trestan Ebner alone.
North Texas joined the Henderson receiver's recruiting mix Thursday morning with a college football scholarship opportunity. It came on the heels of Syracuse offering Wednesday evening.
Ebner (5-11, 180), who announced the latest news through his personal Twitter account, became SMU's very first 2017 commitment in December. Four of his six total offers arrived after he made his pledge.
Arkansas, Kansas and Illinois are the other schools that have standing offers out for Ebner.
The Mean Green program is in a transitional phase.
Former head coach Dan McCarney was fired midway through last season as the team sputtered toward a 1-11 record. Seth Littrell was hired as McCarney's replacement in December.
Littrell served as North Carolina's offensive coordinator the past two seasons and owned the same title at Indiana three campaigns ago. He picked up another nine years years of assistant coaching experience split between Texas Tech and Arizona.
The Mean Green coaching staff has a bit of East Texas flavor. Running backs coach Tommy Perry, a Tyler Lee graduate, was retained from McCarney's staff.
North Texas has been to five bowl games through 20 years as a modern Division I program. It played FCS ball between 1979 and 1994.
Ebner helped Henderson to a 7-3 finish in 2015. The team missed the playoffs despite tying for the final playoff berth out of District 9-4A Division I, but ended the regular season with a 30-10 win over the league’s first-place finisher, Kilgore.
Henderson will once again compete in 9-4A D-I in 2016 along with Bullard, Carthage, Center, Chapel Hill, Kilgore and Palestine.
Ebner, like all current junior prospects, can officially sign with the college of his choosing on Feb. 1, 2017.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, Kansas, Navy, SMU, ULL, UTSA (7)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, North Texas, Syracuse (6)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (6)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from SMU, Tulane, ULL (3)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Houston, Kansas, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (9)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offer from Arkansas State, Tulsa, ULL, ULM (4)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — offers from Houston, SMU, Texas State, ULL, UTSA (5)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Bowling Green, Houston, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, UTSA (9)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas Tech (9)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 180 — offered by SMU (1)