Lufkin’s Jerrin Thompson Offered By South Florida
The second Division I FBS scholarship offer arrived for Lufkin sophomore safety Jerrin Thompson on Friday.
The Panthers' defensive back reported via Twitter that South Florida offered.
Thompson (6-0, 170) was previously offered by Arkansas.
Last season, Thompson was a breakout star on the defensive side of the ball. He finished with 95 tackles, four interceptions, and four forced fumbles in helping lead Lufkin to an 11-3 record and berth in the Class 6A Division II quarterfinals.
South Florida, located in Tampa, is coached by Charlie Strong, who led the Texas Longhorns from 2014-16. Last season, the Bulls finished 10-2 overall and 6-2 in American Athletic Conference play.
Thompson, like all sophomores, is first eligible to sign with any Division I program that offers him in December of 2019.
2020 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (5)
- Khalan Griffin, Chapel Hill, QB/ATH, 5-11, 180 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Tren Jones, Arp, ATH, 6-0, 170 — offer from Baylor (1)
- Haynes King, Longview, QB, 6-2, 170 -- offers from Houston, Louisiana Tech, ULM (3)
- Ja’Lynn Polk, Lufkin, WR, 6-2, 170 — offer from Illinois (1)
- James Sylvester, Newton, DE, 6-4, 215 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor (2)
- Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin, S, 6-0, 170 -- offers from Arkansas, South Florida (2)