Marshall’s Chasen Hines Adds Offer From Oklahoma
Chasen Hines broke a three-person tie Monday and once again has the lead in football scholarship opportunities among juniors in the East Texas region.
An offer from Oklahoma became the Marshall guard's eighth opportunity from an NCAA Division I FBS program. Hines (6-3, 340) reported the news through his personal Twitter account and hopped just ahead of Carthage running back Keontay Ingram and Arp athlete DeMarvion Overshown.
The Sooners, who once acquired cornerstone athlete Adrian Peterson from Palestine High School, have not been a much of a factor in the local recruiting scene for several years. Rivals Texas and Oklahoma State -- both of which have offered Hines as well -- recruited local prospects at a ratio of 7:1 as the three schools worked to build their 2017 recruiting classes.
Former Texas High offensive lineman John Michael McGee was the most recent regional player to sign with Oklahoma. That happened in 2012.
On the field, the Sooners have been the class of the Big 12 Conference in recent seasons. They have won four league championships since 2010 and also have finished four seasons as top 10 teams.
The 2016 Oklahoma team rallied from early-season losses against Houston and Ohio State for an undefeated Big 12 season and a Sugar Bowl win against Auburn.
Quarterback Baker Mayfield will return for his senior season this fall with aspirations of the Heisman Trophy and a second College Football Playoffs appearance in his collegiate career.
Hines, meanwhile, helped Marshall’s offense out to 3,939 total yards in an 11-game 2016 season. As a sophomore, he was part of an offense that put up 5,401 total yards and drove the team to a third round appearance in the Class 5A Division I state playoffs.
Like all college football prospects currently in their junior year of high school, Hines will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February of 2018.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offer from Mississippi State (2)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offer from Bowling Green (1)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-0, 215 — offer from Mississippi State (1)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, C, 6-3, 340 — offers from Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU (8)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU (7)
- Demarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 —offers from Kansas, SMU, Southern Miss, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, UTSA (7)