Nacogdoches Cornerback Josh Thompson Picks Up Offer From Indiana
Josh Thompson's recruiting process might be heating up again following a whirlwind of new scholarship opportunities last week.
Indiana has joined a field of 21 other FBS universities interested in landing the rising senior Nacogdoches cornerback. Thompson first announced the news through his personal Twitter account Thursday.
The Hoosiers posted a 6-6 regular season record last year and earned a berth in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium. Indiana lost its postseason game in an overtime thriller to Duke.
Thompson (6-0, 182) recently competed at the ETSN.fm + APEC Football Recruiting Combine and earned Defensive Most Valuable Player from the selecting party afterward. Highlights included recording a 4.48-second, laser-timed 40-yard dash and a 36-inch vertical jump.
Missouri, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech were among the most notable schools to reach out in the days following the combine event.
Thompson recorded nine pass breakups, intercepted a pass and recorded 33 tackles through Nacogdoches’ 10 games last season. He also caught 10 passes for 152 yards as a receiver.
Nacogodches finished its year in a three-team tie for the fourth and final spot out of District 16-5A with Lindale and Corsicana. Lindale advanced to the playoffs by nature of its head-to-head point differential against Nacogdoches and Corsicana.
Indiana will be coached by Kevin Wilson for a sixth year this season. The program's biggest goal is becoming more competitive in Big Ten Conference play.
Despite reaching a bowl game last year, the Hoosiers went 2-6 in their league and finished fifth in the East Division behind historically strong Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State programs.
Wilson's staff is interested in three other East Texas prospects aside from Thompson. Henderson receiver Trestan Ebner, Center receiver Octavius Evans and Gilmer receiver LaMarcus Morton also have Hoosiers offers.
Thompson, like all class of 2017 high school football prospects, will become eligible to sign with any program that offers him in February.
2017 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tristan Allen, Atlanta, LB, 6-3, 206 -- offer from UTEP (1)
- Judah Bell, Tyler Bishop Gorman, WR, 6-3, 180 — offers from Bowling Green, Coastal Carolina, Houston, Kansas, Memphis, Navy, New Mexico, North Texas, SMU, ULL, ULM, UTSA, Wyoming (13)
- Noah Bush, Athens, LB, 6-1, 216 — offers from Air Force, Army (2)
- Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau, DE, 6-4, 261 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, North Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M (9)
- Trestan Ebner, Henderson, WR, 5-11, 180 — offers from Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Kansas, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Texas, Ole Miss, SMU, Syracuse, UTSA, TCU, Texas A&M, Tulsa (18)
- Montrell Estell, Hooks, WR/DB, 6-2, 180 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Baylor, Kansas, Notre Dame, SMU, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane (12)
- Octavius Evans, Center, WR, 6-2, 186 — offers from Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas State, ULL (7)
- Ted Fuller, Harleton, RB, 5-11, 195 — offers from ULM, Wyoming (2)
- Tre Gatlin, Carthage, DE, 6-6, 210 —offer from Wyoming (1)
- Austin Hawley, Gladewater, DB, 6-1, 200 — offer from ULM (1)
- Kollin Hurt, Gilmer, DB, 6-3, 175 — offers from Louisiana Tech, ULM (2)
- Jordan Johnson, Hooks, ATH, 6-0, 195 — committed to Air Force (1)
- Kayce Medlock, Arp, ATH, 5-9, 186 — offers from Army, Colorado, Navy, SMU, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Damion Miller, John Tyler, WR, 6-1, 189 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, Oklahoma State; Ole Miss; SMU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech (11)
- LaMarcus Morton, Gilmer, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, New Mexico State, Texas Tech, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (12)
- Javontavius Mosley, John Tyler, CB, 6-1, 170 — committed to UTSA; additional offers from Arkansas State, Houston, Memphis, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (10)
- Cade Pearson, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 193 — offer from Wyoming (1)
- Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin, WR, 6-3, 195 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kordell Rodgers, Lufkin, QB/ATH, 5-10, 165 — offers from Arkansas State, Texas State, ULM (3)
- Makyle Sanders, Tyler Lee, S, 6-1, 177 — offers from Memphis, Navy (2)
- Bryson Smith, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 6-0, 170 — committed to Houston; additional offers from Air Force, Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Memphis, New Mexico, North Texas, Purdue, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, Tulsa, ULL, ULM, UTSA (16)
- D’Torian Smith, Tatum, LB, 6-3, 225 — offers from Air Force, ULM, UTEP (3)
- Major Tennison, Bullard, TE, 6-6, 248 — committed to Texas; additional offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, Texas Tech (13)
- Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches, CB, 6-0, 182 — offered by Arkansas State, Colorado State, Houston, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, Missouri, North Texas, Ohio, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULM, Utah, UTSA, Washington State, Wyoming (22)
- Traveion Webster, Longview, S, 6-0, 197 — offered by ULM (1)