Nebraska First to Offer Marshall’s JJ Green
The first Division I FBS scholarship offer arrived Wednesday for Marshall 2020 quarterback JJ Green.
The Mavericks' dual-threat signal-caller reported via Twitter that Nebraska has offered.
Green (6-2, 165) became the eighth player in East Texas' 2020 recruiting class to receive at least one FBS offer.
Last season, Green's first season at quarterback, he passed for 1,743 yards with 20 touchdowns and eight interceptions and added 535 rushing yards and four touchdowns.
He helped Marshall win the District 16-5A championship under first-year coach Claude Mathis. The Mavs finished 6-5 overall and fell to Mesquite Poteet in the bi-district round of the playoffs.
Nebraska is a member of the Big Ten Conference and just hired former quarterback Scott Frost as its new head coach. Frost led Central Florida to a 13-0 record last season.
The Cornhuskers were 4-8 overall and 3-6 in conference play in 2017.
Green, like all sophomores, is first eligible to sign with any team that offers him beginning in December 2019.
2020 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (6)
- JJ Green, Marshall, QB, 6-2, 165 -- offer from Nebraska (1)
- Khalan Griffin, Chapel Hill, QB/ATH, 5-11, 180 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Tren Jones, Arp, ATH, 6-0, 170 — offer from Baylor (1)
- Haynes King, Longview, QB, 6-2, 170 -- offers from Houston, Louisiana Tech, ULM (3)
- Ja’Lynn Polk, Lufkin, WR, 6-2, 170 — offer from Illinois (1)
- James Sylvester, Newton, DE, 6-4, 215 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor (2)
- Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin, S, 6-0, 170 -- offers from Arkansas, South Florida (2)