Newton’s James Sylvester Adds SEC Offer
James Sylvester is coming off his sophomore campaign but already building an impressive list of scholarship offers.
Sylvester, a 2020 DE at Newton, announced Wednesday via Twitter that Texas A&M became the latest school to join his list of suitors.
The Aggies join the likes of Arkansas, Baylor and SMU as teams to offer Sylvester. Sylvester finished 2017 with 82 tackles, including eight for loss. He was also second on the Eagles in sacks with eight. He is one of several players returning from Newton's 3A Division II state championship season.
Texas A&M competes in the SEC. The Aggies are entering their first season under Jimbo Fisher after firing Kevin Sumlin following a 7-6 season that included a trip to the Belk Bowl.
Sylvester, like all sophomores, is first eligible to sign with any team that offers him beginning in December 2019.
2020 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (6)
- JJ Green, Marshall, QB, 6-2, 165 -- offer from Nebraska (1)
- Khalan Griffin, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 180 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Tren Jones, Arp, ATH, 6-0, 170 — offer from Baylor (1)
- Haynes King, Longview, QB, 6-2, 170 -- offers from Houston, Louisiana Tech, ULM (3)
- Ja’Lynn Polk, Lufkin, WR, 6-2, 170 — offer from Illinois (1)
- James Sylvester, Newton, DE, 6-4, 215 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, SMU, Texas A&M (4)
- Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin, S, 6-0, 170 -- offers from Arkansas, South Florida (2)