Newton’s James Sylvester Adds SMU Offer
James Sylvester still has two years before he heads to college, but his list continues to grow.
SMU became the latest school to offer Sylvester, a 2020 defensive end from Newton, he posted on Tuesday.
Sylvester, who also has offers from Arkansas and Baylor, was a force as a pass-rushing specialist in 2017. He finished with 82 tackles (16 for loss) and eight sacks in Newton's 15-0 season that ended with the 3A Division II state title.
Teammates Darwin Barlow and Tamauzia Brown also have SMU offers.
The Mustangs finished the 2017-18 season with a 7-6 record, falling to Louisiana Tech in the Frisco Bowl.
Sylvester, like all sophomores, is first eligible to sign with any team that offers him beginning in December 2018.
2020 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (6)
- JJ Green, Marshall, QB, 6-2, 165 -- offer from Nebraska (1)
- Khalan Griffin, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 180 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Tren Jones, Arp, ATH, 6-0, 170 — offer from Baylor (1)
- Haynes King, Longview, QB, 6-2, 170 -- offers from Houston, Louisiana Tech, ULM (3)
- Ja’Lynn Polk, Lufkin, WR, 6-2, 170 — offer from Illinois (1)
- James Sylvester, Newton, DE, 6-4, 215 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, SMU (3)
- Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin, S, 6-0, 170 -- offers from Arkansas, South Florida (2)