Newton’s James Sylvester Offered By Arkansas
The Newton Eagles won a state championship last month, but they are continuing to make headlines in the recruiting world.
On Thursday, three Newton players received Division I scholarship offers from Arkansas, including 2020 defensive end James Sylvester, who reported the offer via Twitter.
Arkansas also offered Newton 2019 teammates Darwin Barlow and Tamauzia Brown on Thursday.
Sylvester, who also has an offer from Baylor, was a force as a pass-rushing specialist in 2017. He finished with 82 tackles (16 for loss) and eight sacks in Newton's 15-0 season that ended with the 3A Division II state title.
Chad Morris, previously at SMU, took over the Arkansas program from Bret Bielema last month. He has with him Jeff Traylor as associate head coach and running backs coach. Traylor is a native of Gilmer where he also coached the Buckeyes to three state championships in 15 seasons from 2000-14.
Sylvester, like all sophomores, is first eligible to sign with any team that offers him in December 2019.
2020 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (5)
- Khalan Griffin, Chapel Hill, QB/ATH, 5-11, 180 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Tren Jones, Arp, ATH, 6-0, 170 — offer from Baylor (1)
- Ja’Lynn Polk, Lufkin, WR, 6-2, 170 — offer from Illinois (1)
- James Sylvester, Newton, DE, 6-4, 215 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor (2)