Oklahoma State First Division I Offer For Lufkin’s Javasia Brunson
The Lufkin Panthers will be one of the teams to watch on a statewide level in 2018.
Not only do several impact players return from last season's Class 6A Division II state quarterfinalist, but Lufkin is moving down to 5A Division I for at least the next two years.
And several of those returning players are Division I recruits. One of those recruits received his first FBS scholarship opportunity on Saturday.
Panthers 2019 defensive end Javasia Brunson (6-4, 235) reported via Twitter that he picked up an offer from Oklahoma State while attending the school's junior day event in Stillwater.
Brunson is already the 18th player in East Texas' 2019 recruiting class with at least one FBS offer. On this date last year, just six local players had FBS offers.
He is the fourth Panther in either the '19 or 2020 class with an FBS opportunity, as he joins classmates Breylon Garcia and Carl Williams, and sophomore Ja'Lynn Polk.
A handful of other Lufkin underclassmen are also potential Division I prospects, including 2020 safety Jerrin Thompson.
Last season, Brunson was a member of a deep and talented Lufkin defensive front. He finished 2017 with 25 tackles, three sacks, a forced fumble and one recovered fumble in helping Lufkin to an 11-3 overall record.
Oklahoma State went 10-3 last year, making it the third straight 10-win season for the Cowboys, a school record. The Cowboys compete in the Big 12 conference and defeated Virginia Tech in the Camping World Bowl.
Brunson, like all juniors can first sign with any school that offers him beginning in December 2018.
2019 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Jade Ashalintubbi, Elysian Fields, OL, 6-6, 331 —offers from Tulsa, ULM (2)
- Darwin Barlow, Newton, RB, 6-0, 200 -- offers from Arkansas, Arkansas State, Baylor, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Southern Miss, TCU, UTSA (10)
- Chance Billington, John Tyler, OL, 6-3, 301 — committed to SMU; additional offer from Texas State (2)
- Tamauzia Brown, Newton, ATH, 6-1, 170 -- offers from Arkansas, Arkansas State, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, San Diego State, Southern Miss, UTSA (8)
- Javasia Brunson, Lufkin, DE, 6-4, 235 -- offer from Oklahoma State (1)
- Keontae Burns, Pittsburg, ATH, 6-3, 182 — offers from Arkansas, Iowa State, Kansas, Missouri, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State (8)
- Cameron Cantrell, Whitehouse, WR, 6-1, 180 -- committed to Texas Tech (1)
- Coltin Clack, Texas High, QB, 6-3, 202 — offers from Florida Atlantic, SMU, Southern Miss (3)
- Josh Foster, Newton, ATH, 6-0, 165 -- offer from Arkansas State (1)
- Christian Hood, Marshall, OL, 6-2, 290 — offer from Southern Miss (1)
- T.Q. Jackson, Jefferson, WR, 6-2, 175 — offers from Arkansas, Houston, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas Tech, Tulsa (6)
- Beaux Limmer, Tyler Lee, OL, 6-5, 250 -- offers from North Texas, Texas State (2)
- Darius Richardson, West Rusk, DL, 6-3, 288 -- offer from Texas State (1)
- Keivie Rose, Henderson, DE, 6-4, 220 — offers from Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, Tulane (8)
- Ke'Andre Street, John Tyler, WR, 6-4, 190 -- offers from Houston, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane (4)
- Carl Williams, Lufkin, DT, 6-4, 310 — offers from Arkansas, Houston, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU, Southern Miss, TCU, Tulsa, UTSA (10)
- Keshon Williams, Pine Tree, ATH, 6-4, 230 -- offer from Texas State (1)
- Marcus Williams, Longview, OL, 6-6, 250 — offers from Baylor, Houston, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State (5)