Oklahoma State Offers Kilgore’s Jonathan Shepherd
It got even more clear around midnight Saturday that Oklahoma State has serious interest in obtaining an East Texas receiver as part of its 2018 signing class.
Kilgore wideout Jonathan Shepherd heard from the Cowboys program late Friday evening and announced his 14th overall college football scholarship opportunity in the wee hours of Saturday morning via Twitter. The rising senior now has 11 NCAA Division I FBS options.
Oklahoma State offered Texas High receiver and Kansas commitment Tevailance Hunt earlier Friday.
Shepherd (6-3, 196), like Hunt, is a hot Big 12 Conference commodity. He owned other league offers from Kansas State, TCU and Texas Tech entering the weekend.
Kilgore utilizes a run-oriented offense, but Shepherd made his limited touches count. He put up 260 yards and three touchdowns on 17 receptions.
Led by Mike Gundy, the Cowboys were serious players for the Big 12 championship this past year into the final week of the regular season. A win against Oklahoma on the road would have split the title between the Pokes and Sooners.
Oklahoma State got some consolation with a win in the Alamo Bowl for a final record of 10-3 and an 11th-place finish in the Associated Press Bowl. It was Gundy's second consecutive 10-win season and his fourth in 12 years.
The Cowboys program was home to 1988 Heisman Trophy winner Barry Sanders and has produced 17 consensus All-Americans through 116 seasons.
Shepherd, like all college football prospects currently in their junior year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in December.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (7)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Georgia State, Houston, Iowa State, New Mexico, North Texas, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane, ULL, Virginia (17)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offers from Arkansas State, Army, North Texas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (11)
- Drake Centers, Tatum, OL, 6-4, 295 — offers from SMU, Texas State (2)
- Kris Dike, Van, OL, 6-6, 283 — offers from Colorado, Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU, Tulane (7)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 215 — offers from Houston, Mississippi State, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, ULL (6)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offers from Florida Atlantic, Tulane, ULL, ULM (4)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-4, 250 — offers from ULL, ULM (2)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 340 — committed to LSU; additional offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rice, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (16)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Houston, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Marshall University, Nevada, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Southern Miss, Tulsa (12)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, UTSA (27)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 165 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- Kameron King, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 270 — offer from Tulane (1)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, S, 6-4, 196 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (30)
- Jonathan Shepherd, Kilgore, WR, 6-3, 196 — offers from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Houston, Kansas State, ULM, New Mexico, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, TCU, Texas State, Texas Tech (11)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — committed to Washington State; additional offers from Kansas, SMU, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulane, ULL, ULM, Wyoming (9)