Oklahoma State Offers Newton’s James Sylvester
The seventh Division I FBS scholarship offer has arrived for Newton 2020 defensive end James Sylvester.
The Eagles' defender reported via Twitter on Wednesday of an offer from Oklahoma State.
Sylvester (6-4, 215) also holds offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, SMU, and Texas A&M.
Last season, Sylvester was second on the team in sacks, recording eight. He also had 82 total tackles, including eight for loss. He was a part of a Newton defensive team that allowed just 9.6 points per contest and won the Class 3A Division II state championship in 2017.
Oklahoma State is 114-53 in 13 seasons under head coach Mike Gundy. The Cowboys were 10-3 overall and 6-3 in Big 12 play last season.
Sylvester, like all sophomores, is first eligible to sign with any team that offers him beginning in December 2019.
2020 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH, 5-11, 160 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas (6)
- JJ Green, Marshall, QB, 6-2, 165 -- offer from Nebraska, Ole Miss (2)
- Khalan Griffin, John Tyler, QB/ATH, 5-11, 180 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Herbert Gums, Diboll, RB, 6-1, 228 -- offer from Houston (1)
- Tren Jones, Arp, ATH, 6-0, 170 — offer from Baylor (1)
- Devon King, Gilmer, OL, 6-3, 320 -- offer from Texas State (1)
- Haynes King, Longview, QB, 6-2, 170 -- offers from Houston, Louisiana Tech, ULM (3)
- Ja’Lynn Polk, Lufkin, WR, 6-2, 170 — offer from Illinois (1)
- James Sylvester, Newton, DE, 6-4, 215 — offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU, Texas A&M (7)
- Jerrin Thompson, Lufkin, S, 6-0, 170 -- offers from Arkansas, South Florida (2)
- Savion Williams, Marshall, WR, 6-3, 165 -- offer from Bowling Green (1)