Oregon State + New Mexico Offer Kilgore’s Jonathan Shepherd
In just eight days, Kilgore receiver Jonathan Shepherd has become one of the most coveted players in East Texas' 2018 recruiting class.
On Wednesday, he received his fifth and sixth Division I FBS scholarship offers since April 25.
Shepherd (6-3, 196) announced via Twitter that Oregon State and New Mexico have extended offers his way.
The Bulldogs' playmaker also holds FBS invitations from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Kansas State, and Louisiana-Monroe. Shepherd has also been offered by Stephen F Austin (FCS) along with Division II programs Arkansas-Monticello and Northeastern State.
Last season, in a predominantly run-oriented offense, Shepherd caught 17 passes for 260 yards and three touchdowns. Kilgore shared the District 9-4A Division I title, and advanced to the area round of the playoffs, finishing with a 7-5 record.
Oregon State is a member of the Pac-12 Conference. The Beavers are coached by coached by Gary Anderson and are coming off a 4-8 finish in 2016. Oregon State has a recent history in East Texas, having signed former New Boston running back Damien Haskins in 2013.
Carthage running back Keaontay Ingram also holds an offer from Oregon State.
New Mexico competes in the Mountain West Conference and his coached by Bob Davie. The Lobos were 9-4 in 2016, ending the year with a 23-20 win over UTSA in the New Mexico Bowl.
Shepherd, like all college football prospects currently in their junior year of high school, will become eligible to sign with any school that offers him in February.
2018 East Texas Football Players With Division I FBS Offers
- Tre Allison, John Tyler, OLB, 6-0, 200 — committed to SMU; additional offers from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, ULL (5)
- Chance Amie, Tyler Lee, QB, 6-3, 190 — offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Central Florida, Colorado State, Georgia State, Houston, Iowa State, North Texas, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Tulane, ULL, Virginia (14)
- Xavier Benson, Pleasant Grove, LB, 6-0, 200 — offers from Arkansas State, Army, North Texas, Southern Miss, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tulane, ULL, ULM (9)
- Drake Centers, Tatum, OL, 6-4, 295 — offer from Texas State (1)
- Kris Dike, Van, OL, 6-6, 283 — offers from Houston, North Texas, Oklahoma State, SMU, TCU (5)
- Dekalen Goodson, John Tyler, DE/OLB, 6-2, 215 — offers from Houston, Mississippi State, SMU, Texas State, ULL (5)
- Trae Hall, Henderson, QB/ATH, 6-3, 185 — offer from ULL (1)
- Conner Henson, Harmony, OL, 6-4, 250 — offers from ULL, ULM (2)
- Chasen Hines, Marshall, OL, 6-3, 340 — committed to LSU; additional offers from Arizona, Baylor, Louisiana Tech, Minnesota, North Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Rice, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech (16)
- Tevailance Hunt, Texas High, WR, 6-2, 180 — committed to Kansas; additional offers from Arkansas State, Bowling Green, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech, Marshall University, Nevada, North Texas, Southern Miss, Tulsa (10)
- Keaontay Ingram, Carthage, RB, 6-0, 198 — offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida State, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, LSU, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, UCLA, USC, UTSA (27)
- Malik Jackson, Lufkin, WR, 5-8, 165 — offer from Arkansas State (1)
- DeMarvion Overshown, Arp, ATH, 6-4, 196 — offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Clemson, Colorado, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, LSU, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, UTSA (30)
- Jonathan Shepherd, Kilgore, WR, 6-3, 196 — offers from Colorado State, Florida Atlantic, Kansas State, ULM, New Mexico, Oregon State (6)
- Tyree Wilson, West Rusk, LB, 6-5, 225 — committed to Washington State; additional offers from Kansas, Southern Miss, Texas State, ULL, ULM (6)