PREVIEW: Jefferson + Malakoff Meet in Area Round
CLASS 3A DIVISION I
Region II Area Playoff
Jefferson Bulldogs (11-0)
Malakoff Tigers (8-2)
2 p.m. Friday
Meredith Memorial Stadium, Mineola
- Jefferson: Antwain Jimmerson
- Malakoff: Jamie Driskell
- Jefferson: def. Mineola, 41-22
- Malakoff: def. Pottsboro, 63-35
- Winner vs. Gladewater or Eustace, 3A Division I regional semifinal
Players to watch
- WR T.Q. Jackson, Sr., 6-3, 185 (33 catches, 753 yards, 11 TDs)
- WR/DB Trace Smith, Sr., 6-4, 190 (4 catch, 126 yards, 1 TD; 83 tackles, 11 for loss, 1 sack, 5 QB hurries, 7 PBUs, 3 INTs, 2 blocked punts, 2 forced fumbles)
- QB/LB Trey Hodge, Sr., 6-3, 218 (40-of-64, 762 yards, 3 TDs; 25 carries, 169 yards, 5 TDs)
- DL/OL Jacari Mosley, Sr. (62 tackles, 7 for loss, 3 sacks, 5 QB hurries, PBU, 1 fumble recovery, 1 forced fumble)
- ATH Kylan Thomas, Jr., 5-11, 188 (24-of-39, 484 yards, 3 TDs; 54 carries, 703 yards, 8 TDs; 7 catches, 124 yards)
- K/P Landon Fuquay, Jr. (61-of-69 PATs; 8-of-9 FGs)
- LB Malik Cannon, Jr., 5-9, 160 (123 tackles, 9 for loss, 3 sacks, 3 QB hurries, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery)
- RB/DB Dee Black, Jr. (112 carries, 1,659 yards, 25 TDs; 6 catches, 76 yards, 1 TD; 41 tackles, 1 QB hurry, 5 PBUs, 1 forced fumble)
- RB/DB Tybo Williams, Sr., 5-8, 165 (31 carries, 362 yards, 4 TDs)
- LB Brennan Varnell, Sr., 5-10, 187 (171 tackles, 7 for loss, 1 sacks, 1 QB hurry, 2 fumble recoveries)
- LB Kannon Glover, Sr., 6-1 (174 tackles, 10 for loss, 3 PBUs, 1 INT, 1 forced fumble, 1 recovery)
- WR/DL Parker Busch, Sr., 6-3, 205
- DL Caleb Adams, Sr., 6-2, 220
- LB Everardo Garcia, Sr., 5-8, 160
- OL/DL Kyler Dalrymple, Sr., 6-1, 200
- OL Brenden McClintock, Sr., 6-2, 230
- RB/DB R.J. Carr, Jr.
- WR/DB Andreas Garrett, Jr., 5-11, 170
- LB Colby Rush, Jr.
Just the facts
- Since at least 1990, Malakoff and Jefferson have never met.
- Jefferson is averaging 445.8 yards per game (124.2 passing and 321.6 rushing).
- Bulldog running back Dee Black is averaging 14.8 yards per carry.
- Jefferson receiving T.Q. Jackson has at least 90 yards receiving in three of his past four games.
- Malakoff is averaging 44.5 points per game and giving up 16.7.
- The Tigers' two losses came against teams with a combined record of 18-4.
- Malakoff has scored 60-plus points five times this season.
Key matchup: Malakoff offense against the Jefferson defense. Malakoff has had a potent offense all season, scoring 60 points in five different games this season. Jefferson has had a stout defense, but is missing leader Eric Gipson, who is out for the season after undergoing knee surgery. Gipson had 10 sacks, so his ability to cause disruption in the offense will be greatly missed. Linebackers Kannon Glover and Brennan Varnell have been leaders this season, though and will be called upon again Friday. Trace Smith has three interceptions and Jacari Mosley and Tyler Cherry will look to make up for the loss of Gipson on the line.
Malakoff is prone to go off at any moment. If the Bulldogs can keep the offense in check, their undefeated season will continue.
Don't be surprised if: This is a shootout. Malakoff can score. Jefferson can score. Although both teams have solid defenses, this one has the makings of a shootout. The Bulldogs' offense has been clicking lately, with big performances from Dee Black and T.Q. Jackson in the first round. Look for that to continue Friday as puts are put up all around.