PREVIEW: Longview + Marshall Set to Meet for 108th Time
Marshall Mavericks (1-0)
No. 7 Longview Lobos (1-0)
7:30 p.m. Friday
Maverick Stadium, Marshall
- Marshall: Claude Mathis
- Longview: John King
- Marshall: vs. Carthage, Sept. 14
- Longview: vs. John Tyler, Sept. 14
Players to watch
- QB J.J. Green, Jr., 6-4, 176 (15-of-23, 318 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs; 8 carries, 39 yards)
- WR Tahj Washington, Sr., 5-11, 168 (8 catches, 163 yards, 1 TD; 2 carries, 4 yards)
- WR DeKendrick Bender, Sr., 6-2, 196 (3 catches, 72 yards, 2 TDs)
- WR Savion Williams, Jr., 6-5, 203 (2 catches, 54 yards, 2 TDs)
- RB Treylin Lewis, Sr., 5-10, 178 (18 carries, 63 yards)
- DB Champ Mathis, Sr., 5-10, 189
- DB Marcus Bledsoe Jr., Sr., 6-1, 181 (12 tackles, 4 for loss, 1 forced fumble)
- OL Christian Hood, Sr., 6-1, 194
- LB Brevin Randle, Sr., 6-2, 221
- QB Haynes King, Jr., 6-3, 185 (16-of-24, 235 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs; 3 carries, 25 yards)
- WR Kamden Perry, Sr., 6-0, 180 (12 catches, 146 yards, 1 TD)
- WR Kaden Kearbey, Jr., 5-11, 180 (3 catches, 73 yards, 1 TD)
- RB Jessie Anderson, Sr., 5-11, 225 (10 carries, 41 yards; 1 catch, 16 yards)
- RB Keilyn Williams, Sr., 5-5, 145 (16 carries, 64 yards, 2 TDs)
- LB Tyshawn Taylor, Jr., 5-9, 195 (14 tackles, 4 for loss, 1 sack, 1 pass defended)
- DL John Sawyer Goram-Welch, Jr., 6-4, 270 (8 tackles, 2 for loss, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery)
- DB Jephaniah Lister, Sr., 5-9, 155 (10 tackles, 1 for loss, 3 passes defended, 1 forced fumble)
- DB Jacob Johnson, Sr., 6-0, 175 (6 tackles, 1 for loss, 3 passes defended)
Just the facts
- Longview holds a 60-42-5 all-time lead in the series.
- The Lobos have won 17 of the past 20 games against Marshall.
- Maverick quarterback J.J. Green earned the ETSN.fm Offensive Player of the Week award after throwing for more than 300 yards and five touchdowns against Tyler Lee.
- Tahj Washington, DeKendrick Bender and Savion Williams all have FBS offers to form a talented receiving corps.
- Longview defeated Marshall, 41-7, the last time these teams met in 2017.
- John King, who is in his 15th season as Longview's coach, is 153-36 at the helm.
- The Longview defense forced two turnovers and held Lufkin to seven points per quarter in its opening week victory against the Panthers.
- Kamden Perry proved to be Haynes King's favorite target, setting a Lobo record with 12 receptions.
Key matchup: The Longview secondary against the Marshall receiving corps. Keeping these Marshall receivers in check is no easy task, as Tyler Lee can attest to. Tahj Washington torched the Red Raiders for eight receptions and 163 yards, while DeKendrick Bender and Savion Williams each added two touchdowns. J.J. Green has next-level talent at quarterback, spelling bad news for opposing defenses this season.
Longview saw a receiver with FBS potential this past week in Lufkin's Ja'Lynn Polk. The Lobos gave up 117 yards and a touchdown to Polk. Although Polk is likely better than any of the receivers the Lobos will face Friday, the group is exponentially more talented. Jephaniah Lister and Jacob Johnson combined for six passes defended in the game against Lufkin. They'll likely need to band together once again to prevent Green from having a game like he did in Week 1.
Don't be surprised if: Jessie Anderson gets going. Anderson looked sharp in Longview's victory against Lufkin this past week. He ran 10 times for 41 yards, several of which came after enduring tons of contact. Anderson, coming off a hand injury, is the Lobo's bruiser. His impact in Week 1 felt bigger than 41 yards. He will again split carries with the speedy Keilyn Williams, but expect Anderson to show his worth once again Friday.